Cams, followers, wrist pins. Engine men please read...

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#31 Post by cannondale27 »

A lot can be done with just plugging up the exhaust. Plus it quiets it down for the nieghbors.

cannondale27

#32 Post by cannondale27 »

Here we go Wayne. wink.gif

Waynes DLC coated buckets and his exhaust cam nestled nicely in the 432cc Quiet motor build.Will have this in quad by next weekend,broke in during week,Dynoed shortly after then running 9days at Glamis and whatever other Dunes we find out west.When I return it will be pulled and inspected.Should be a definite test of the DLC buckets with both Waynes Cam and a FX cam all of which I hope to live a long life.

[attachment=7462:Finally_003.jpg]

wayneschofield

#33 Post by wayneschofield »

I hope you took all the seeds out of that jam on the lobes......

If the FX cam has been run already you shouldn't actually need the break-in lube. The lube has a very high sulphur content and the sulphur gets embedded into the root of the 'roughness' on a newly ground cam. This makes the rough peaks 'brittle' which makes them break off into the oil and leaves the lobe surface smoother.

It won't do any harm though I guess......

cannondale27

#34 Post by cannondale27 »

Dont worry its Majic Jam laugh.gif Both cams are used. FX and your exhaust cam. I have never had a cam failure so will stick to what I know works. To late anyway. Its running and yes it RIPS! Especially for a 432cc motor.

Wayne one thing I noticed was when doing the valve clearance checks the feeler guage was either a go or nogo much more distinctive feel than stock buckets or even R/D valvespring buckets way more slippery if you know what I mean. Thats good. I think these are going to be great.

cannondale27

#35 Post by cannondale27 »

Finally got the motor out and inspected. I rode this motor all week on my Glamis trip. Didn't keep track of hours but it was plenty and those who rode with me will agree that I rode it hard no mercy. Wayne I can't say enough good things about these buckets and the Cam. These buckets blow away the R&D Valvespring buckets which I can no longer recommend. Wayne's buckets fit bores perfectly, The coating looks EXACTLY like it did when I installed them. No wearing away on the sides and more importantly the tops! Not a scratch on them and coating is still full thickness unlike the R&D ones where it seems to get thinner. I would gladly pay for these and will. Excel dyne buckets seem to be similar and testing is going on to see but as of right now this is the new benchmark for sure. Very happy and is nice to take a look and be able to button it back up again for once. Even clearances are still exactly same. A big THANK YOU Wayne. Well done!

[attachment=8134:Waynes_Buckets_047.jpg]
[attachment=8135:Waynes_Buckets_002.jpg]
[attachment=8136:Waynes_Buckets_003.jpg]

peterock

#36 Post by peterock »

very nice. I was wondering about buckets today actually. Wayne, are the buckets available?????

cannondale27

#37 Post by cannondale27 »

Pete if not I think we should look into pricing of sending some over there to get done-vs-excell dyne.

peterock

#38 Post by peterock »

Probably not a bad idea. I believe the xycledyne ones are like $75 each or so.

thedeatons

#39 Post by thedeatons »

The hot ticket would be for Brad to stock them, so everyone has access... Better yet send over Brad's inventory of buckets, that kills two birds with one stone and gives Brad motivation to sell the new ones....

wayneschofield

#40 Post by wayneschofield »

Glad things worked for once!

I have your modified flywheel on my desk here for you to try Steve. My folks go over again soon so I'll get them to post it from over there.

The buckets I had done were stock ones, checked for size, Nitrided for consistant core hardness, micro-finished and then given a 'DLC star' coating by Oerlikon Balzers. I think they have a facility over there.

I am mega swamped at work so can only get on here time to time. Sorry.

The cams and the decomp finalising need some more of my time and money, so will have to wait for now.