Sheared another woodruff key

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
dalewannbe

#1 Post by dalewannbe »

What do I need to look at for the root cause of this? The flywheel not being seated properly? Could the spacer on the stator being too large cause this? I have a different flywheel I could try, but that may not be the problem????

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

Is the keyways in the crank and flywheel undamaged? How about the key itself is it the right size and hardness too soft would be the worst thing but too hard might be a problem too? You could take some lapping compound and lap in the tapers until it is all a dull grey and that would mean that it has full contact all the way around.

rayspeed

#3 Post by rayspeed »

Oops double post

dalewannbe

#4 Post by dalewannbe »

The key came from a used crank that I ran for many races, that why I was thinking either flywheel or stator causing the issues.

Trouble

#5 Post by Trouble »

I had the same problem with my 350x a while back,i used some valve lapping compound and some red loctite when i was done,its been fine ever since.

Trouble

#6 Post by Trouble »

also make sure its tight,i use impact,some people dont but its always worked out for me..

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

35ftlbs with a torque wrench.Lapping is a good idea.There are different key styles used.One is a deeper slot and key matches it.

yamadjs08

#8 Post by yamadjs08 »

I used to have this problem all the time. It definitely takes the right key. But also I had one shear and I took the broken key out and put a new one in and reinstalled and had the flywheel crack at the steel hub believe it or not brand new flywheel too. Anyways there was the tiniest bit of key still in there some how and it offset the new one enough to cause it to shear again and crack the flywheel. Crazy. Definitely my fault but the half moon key came out and so did the other piece, never would have thought there would be fragments in there that I would have to scrape and pick at to get out...

Gus you gonna race any of the Iowa races this year? Come on step it up to a real series! happy.gif

wayne-1968

#9 Post by wayne-1968 »

where do you guys race in iowa.

thanks wayne

dalewannbe

#10 Post by dalewannbe »

QUOTE (wayne-1968 @ Mar 17 2009, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
where do you guys race in iowa.

thanks wayne

DJ is talking about the IA ATV series which is suppose to be really good.

I used to race my local series, because it was so close to where I live. I haven't races for about 2 years, but I got the itch again. I went and watched last weekend's race, and it made me miss it even more.