what happened?

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
jake

#1 Post by jake »

i was riding the other day when all the sudden my cannondale started spitting and sputtering and died. i tried restarting it, but it ran rough and died again. when i tried starting it again the starter isn't engaging. i just hear the solinoid click but the actually starter does nothing. also, after i let off the start button the fuel pump doesnt run. it just makes a wierd sound.

fully charged battery and the same thing happens. i've checked for loose connections on just about everything, but it all seems up to par....... any ideas?

thedeatons

#2 Post by thedeatons »

Possible the battery crapped out... What is the voltage when it is sitting with nothing on? May want to check the stator behind the flywheel, perhaps the wires got too close to the flywheel and the wires are shorted out, or shorted against the case. One of those is most likely the problem. There is a chance your fuel line's quick disconnects are the problem. The o-rings iniside can swell and cut fuel off to the tank. Try taking them out and splicing the lines together, see if that helps.

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

My guess is the flywheel spun and then the battery died from trying to start it.

UpsMan

#4 Post by UpsMan »

Sounds like you are both on the right track.

thedeatons

#5 Post by thedeatons »

Darn it! Forgot about that one... sigh

jake

#6 Post by jake »

the battery is fully charged. i thought it was dead too, but charged it and it's at like 12.6 something volts. haven't checked the stator, so i guess i will next. would the stator idea explain not cranking over and he fule pump not running?

UpsMan

#7 Post by UpsMan »

No.

UpsMan

#8 Post by UpsMan »

Here is what I would do. Check voltage at the battery when you hit the start button. Your battery may appear fully charged and still be junk. Check to see if your flywheel is spun. If yes, replace. If not, remove flywheel and see if your stator is intact. If it looks good, carefully check the wiring behind the clamp. That can rub through sometimes. If you can't get it to run, you can't check the stator output, so after that I'm out of ideas. You may have a combination of things going on here. Between the flywheel, stator, voltage regulator and battery, you are bound to find the problem. When you first turn the key on, does the fuel pump run for a second?

MyCannibal

#9 Post by MyCannibal »

did you check the connection that goes from the battery to the starter?..make sure it is tight on the post on the starter...mine came loose one time and i had very similar issue.

MyCannibal

#10 Post by MyCannibal »

did you check the connection that goes from the battery to the starter?..make sure it is tight on the post on the starter...mine came loose one time and i had very similar issue.