finally had a failure---guesses

cannondale27

#21 Post by cannondale27 »

Wow thats a new one! Looks like you might be okay. Actually lucky you got it apart anyway with cam bearing going like that. Where is the cage? And Kdeal you though my tranny oil was nasty!

kdeal

#22 Post by kdeal »

Did you find any water in that oil? The oil pattern on the parts looks weird.

And yes, we will have to put Happy in the dog house and take up a collection for a new quart of tranny oil. ohmy.gif

Happyboy

#23 Post by Happyboy »

That oil has ~8 hours on it. biggrin.gif I kinda left the hose off the tranny so I am assuming I got some water in it.

NRath

#24 Post by NRath »

I was noticing the oil and thinking we had finally come up with a cost savings on these things- running MUD in the transmission!

All things considered, looks like a pretty good thing happened! I'm kinda' surprised to see that the guide got to the other side of the chain with only a couple inches broken off the top. I pulled one apart a few years ago with that same piece of the guide broken, but the rest of the guide was still in place.

Anyone got any reasonable estimates on timing chain life (hrs)?

peterock

#25 Post by peterock »

Timing chains are cheap. Replace them when you open up the motor for any other maintenance...like replacing the piston.

cannondale27

#26 Post by cannondale27 »

Depends on chain type. There were some cheapo chains used in some motors. Otherwise 2-3 seasons same as crank.

Happyboy

#27 Post by Happyboy »

Well, got lucky but not that lucky. Looks like i dinged the exhaust valves. They are both stuck and are visibly tweaked. The picture is an odd angle and they look more bent than they are.

Chain has a couple of kinks in it. I'll probobly just straighten it out and reuse. wink.gif

[attachment=9161:DCAM0042.JPG]

[attachment=9162:DCAM0043.JPG]

NRath

#28 Post by NRath »

Isn't there a pretty good chance the valve seats took some abuse there, as well? You know those valves slapped against them a bunch of times as they came to a stop.

All in all, at least that's all there is! You'll probably spend more time cleaning that air box! tongue.gif

2000ex

#29 Post by 2000ex »

That is real lucky. If you were WFO when that happened the carnage would have been another one for the Halls of Destruction!

When you get them out you may as Neil said want to check the seats and the guides and give everything a once over before you put er back together.

Happyboy

#30 Post by Happyboy »

Seats look good I think but i'll be getting the guides replaced regardless if they look good. Pretty cheap failure all in all. I was probobly 3/4 throttle but because of the sand the motor wasn't wound all the way up.

On the dirty oil subject. My chain guide is in 3 pieces. I am thinking there was a break and the chain was digging into the guide. The guide was getting shredded for a bit until the rest of the guide broke. The tranny oil is a little gritty but not too bad. Kinda like when you burn up your clutch plates.