Another Shock Posting

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
NRath

#21 Post by NRath »

Boy, I've missed an exciting thread! First time to check it in a while.

Those C'dale avatar's are really cool, the 432 is the best. Look's great!

I've got to agree with Lap Traffic that I think they do go a little overboard with mark up. But on the other hand the point about manufacturing costs and volume are legit. I deal with those things almost daily and it is expensive. The most expensive thing- consistent repeatability! Getting the exact same part time after time. Especially on those long travel arms that have like 5 bends in all 3 planes out of one piece of tube. It's not as easy as you would think. My company spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on fixturing a year(chump change compared to some I'm sure). The car makers spend millions per year per vehicle. That's why shared platforms are so common now.
These aftermarket guys second problem is definitely in volume, or lack there of. 250 sets isn't many in a production environment. And I'd guess those are pretty big numbers for someone to consider trying to sell that many sets of arms. I really doubt Houser sells 250 sets of one type of arm a year. That said, once they have a set up, they have it forever. And, raw materials really aren't that expensive. And, most of these companies have probably got a second party fab shop making the parts for them, adding more overhead to the parts.

Enough rambling. I too have a hard time paying for some of these parts, particularly skid plates. I, with the help of my friends at work, could make any of the skidplates that I paid good money for. And for next to nothing! Problem is....Time! I don't have enough of it to model up the parts, detail some drawings, dig up some metal, cut them out, have them broke, blah, blah blah! So I just paid $180 for swing arm and chassis skids for my 'dale. Oh well!

I am about to make some wheel rings for these whimpy ITP wheels though- already got the solid model made! Time to dig up some aluminum!!!

LapTraffic

#22 Post by LapTraffic »

Skid plates is a really good example of this type of mark up.

Yes you have to recover your cost in R&D you just dont have to do it on the first sale wink.gif

Put some pics up of the rings as you do them, I'd love to see em.

I agree with you on the time issue, Im the same with my truck, I have taught myself to wrench just because I cant bring myself to let someone charge me what these shops charge.

As for welding and fabrication, I kinda like that stuff, it's not a bad passtime, it would get old if I did it 40 hours a week, but for putzin around the shop it aint too bad.

LapTraffic

#23 Post by LapTraffic »

Thanks for the feedback Tarrat, and from everyone else on the cost issue.

Still seems relatively high for similar types of fab work, but until I try it myself I guess I can't comment on its value.

Good luck with the new Mods and your upcoming race!

justfine

Yep....

#24 Post by justfine »

I am the first to Say that most after-market atv products are over-priced, but I don't have to buy anything I don't want to. I do have a big respect for these people that build parts. There is a lot of time in research and development, and a lot of trial and error. There is a member of Cannondaleriders.com who is a good friend of mine, and he builds a-arms(snellcrp). There is more that goes into it than I could believe. It has to be exactley perfect in all the processes to build these. When he puts them in the jig he made the welds have to be welded in a certain order or they don't turn out right. I am a cheap skate, but after seeing the process I would say that anything around $600.00 for a good set of chromoly a-arms is a good deal. Give Chris a holler(snellcrp). He might be able to make you some. They are very sturdy, adjustable, and fit really well. I would say they are tougher than anything I have ever seen.

haydug

#25 Post by haydug »

Let's see some pictures of his stuff on a quad. The picture you posted looks nice. It would be nice to have an affordable option out there.

justfine

I will talk to him about it

#26 Post by justfine »