DOA engine

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
MX Quad Dad

#11 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Don't forget to flush the frame also.

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

I can't think of any other reason why someone would leave the TDC bolt out. Never seen it done before but it might allow the combined oils without issue of overflowing one or another. Then again guy may have just forgot to put it in.

To remove the nut use a impact wrench it is a normal left hand nut.

Deityracer

#13 Post by Deityracer »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Nov 15 2009, 06:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cant think of any other reason why someone would leave the TDC bolt out.Never seen it done before but it might allow the combined oils without issue of overflowing one or another.Then again guy may have just forgot to put it in.

To remove the nut use a impactwrench it is a normal left hand nut.

Ok, tore darn near everything down short the flywheel (and hence the crank) but took the plate out and everything there looks pristene.. no balls in the chamber. the case (at least on the crankplate side, looks good. trans,

took apart the head and have found 15 balls... (anyone know how many balls are in the gear side cam bearing?) no damage to the head itself, other than a small bit of material missing where the seal sits. Seal is gone, bearing of course is gone. The bad part is the bearing cap is no more good. all the caps are etched with "1366" so I'm sure that it's a set.

27 you mentioned I needed to do something extra if I need to get a new cap... which I do.

Somebody spent some money on this head, as it looks to have titanum valves and retainers and the injectors have been re-angled. I'll send pics of the head in a few.

Deityracer

#14 Post by Deityracer »

[attachment=9396:IMG00034.jpg]
[attachment=9397:IMG00052.jpg][attachment=9398:IMG00040.jpg][attachment=9399:IMG
00044.jpg]

Canniboomer

#15 Post by Canniboomer »

...15 balls yes, but don't forget an equal number of tiny rivets or broken pcs from those.

Deityracer

#16 Post by Deityracer »

Oh, the buckets look good, well within spec clearance wise, but all but the coolant pump side intake bucket came off with a magnet.. had to take it out with 2 magnets and a pair of pliers (as the pliers weren't enough!) I take it that's a coating on the bucket so sanding is not an option, correct?

Deityracer

#17 Post by Deityracer »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Nov 15 2009, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...15 balls yes, but don't forget an equal number of tiny rivets or broken pcs from those.

yep, found all that too.. created the entire carrier.. just amazing.

oh interesting thing, there were 5 orings missing just not there, not even remnants of them.

apparently somebody rushed through this build.

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

That number on caps could have been put on there by whoever put the motor together so nothing can be trusted obviously. That is a Wade Wilcox head. Send it to Timbo since the bucket bore will have to be machined along with cam cap. What color are your buckets? I can't see them in any pics to tell you if they are coated. You would never sand a bucket. Just send it to Timbo and be very nice to him because he hates working on heads that others hacked. He will take care of you.

Canniboomer

#19 Post by Canniboomer »

QUOTE (Deityracer @ Nov 13 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.... took the trans out first... and there was no flipping trans filter...

....There was nasty crap in the trans oil (big chunks)

Those big chunks WERE your missing transmission filter,...... which should instead last for the life of any machine,...both only IFF guys use the right drain plug. And, if they use the drainplug AFTER installing and verifying the separate placement of that filter.

...but for so many guys that don't do research and visit these forums?,.....they miss out on some valuable and simple warnings that will sting almost anybody -- even career mechanics will lose that filter into the strong gnashing teeth of the Cannondale transmission!...that is all too common, and we suppliers sell far too many transmission filters because of the "gotcha" feature of the stock drainplug. Also, there are some confusing pictures in the some of the Manuals that show the filter riding in the drainplug while inserting to the motor -- WRONG.

Anyway, that's not the first missing filter, and it won't be the last. If you sift your gear oil, I think these pictures might look familiar -- the common remnants of a wandering tranny filter:

Happyboy

#20 Post by Happyboy »

Take a pictures down the throat of your head. I'm very curious how it looks with that reangled injector block.