actual dirt wheels article

sjstar

#11 Post by sjstar »

so to be 50 pounds lighter than any quad out righ now it would have to be abouth 300 pounds dry or about 350 wet. Yea maybe with the little gas tank.

MX Quad Dad

#12 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I'm almost positive our Moto weighed 381 wet and when I say wet I mean wet. Had at least 1 gal gas and I had just washed it. so unless I had gotten on a bad scale they would have to come in at 330#

Dachshund

#13 Post by Dachshund »

"50 pounds lighter than anything else on the Market".

Well from my extensive research blink.gif , I find the DS to be the lightest at 345# dry, so that would mean it would need to be 295# dry. I'm gonna go ahead and jump the gun here and say: BS.

MX Quad Dad

#14 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Jan 31 2010, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, don't buy the mag for this highland article alone. What you see posted above is all that there is. Don't waste your $5.99.

I was thinking about buying one, then slapped myself and thought about it then relised I do know better. I'm not going to run out and buy one anyway. I did a bit of resurch (quite a few calls to Cannondale, Ohlins and a few dealers. I also belived I had a chat with someone at Wiesco) on the Dale before I bought the Moto and yeah The rags did have some impressive articals but now looking back it was just to move their mag. when ever a shootout came, the dale always lost.

The fact that the dale didn't win didn't bother me much, after all the price was a little higher. they just always seem to down the dale for the same reason they would praise the others.

I know of one shootout (not with a Dale) that was bogus. the riding and photos were done between two quads that were supposed to have 440 kits in them. one was stock. well maybe aftermarkit exhaust.

Crazie

#15 Post by Crazie »

Well, I took a couple minutes yesterday and sent an e-mail to Highland in an effort to find more info. I didn't get much info, but I'll post it.

Thanks for noticing our ATV.
As the article states it is a prototype for the Highland Engine.
We Used the ATK/dale frame and other goodies because you have to start
some where. We have worked with the ATK in the past and presents a good
platform
to develop our engine package.
At this time the roadmap is we will be building an ATV. That's all I will
say for now .
Thanks again for your interest.

Sincerely ,

US Highland

Like I said, not much there. This could be good, or it could be nothing for our community. It's good to hear that they chose the 'Dale platform to test their engine. I like to think they chose that platform because it's the best, but it could simply be that they had it available and it was the easiest to make work?

If they build their own frame, then the aftermarket manages to flock to them, we may not reap any benefits. I'm mixed about this, but find a part of me hoping they are successful, because I think in the long run (Assuming they use our frame, or at least our geometry) it would benefit us for things like suspension.

ACEwrench

#16 Post by ACEwrench »

hmmm time to make a few calls....