OIL Coming into Breather box or under it

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
new daler

#1 Post by new daler »

Guys,

I have a 2002 Cannondale Cannibal that was setting for 8 months, the fuel pump went bad I replaced it today, now it starts up and oil starts to come out of a small hole under the air filter, it just keeps blowing it out, I changed it a year ago with no issues, the only thing it has done is be cranked and run at idle a few times to try to keep the battery up, Please let me know if anyone could know what is causing this. Again there is oil blowing out of a line that hooks to the right side of the frame if setting on it to just below the air filter and it is shooting out after about 30 secondes of running, runs fine just this oil is blowing out, if anyone can help me fix this problem or help me find out what is causing it so I can fix it that would be a life saver. Thanks and Please help.

2000ex

#2 Post by 2000ex »

Only two things cause that. Overfilled oil when it was changed, or you have stripped oil pump gears. Start machine and pull oil fill and look for oil flowing. If it is you're pump gears are fine.

new daler

#3 Post by new daler »

QUOTE (2000ex @ Sep 25 2010, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only two things cause that. Overfilled oil when it was changed, or you have stripped oil pump gears. Start machine and pull oil fill and look for oil flowing. If it is you're pump gears are fine.

How would I replace them if they are stripped? Do you mean look on the frame where you put the oil in and If I see oil flowing the gears are OK?

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

If your oil pump gears are work then drain all your oil and then drain the right spar but pulling the hoses that are on bottom of the right frame spar. Then refill your oil to the correct level. After I had my motor rebuilt and reinstalled, I had the puking problem. Somehow this section of the frame spar was full enough that when I refilled the oil, it would cause the oil to puke into the airbox. When I drained that part of the frame and filled the oil back to the exact same level as before, I didn't have the problem.

new daler

#5 Post by new daler »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Sep 26 2010, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If your oil pump gears are work then drain all your oil and then drain the right spar but pulling the hoses that are on bottom of the right frame spar. Then refill your oil to the correct level. After I had my motor rebuilt and reinstalled, I had the puking problem. Somehow this section of the frame spar was full enough that when I refilled the oil, it would cause the oil to puke into the airbox. When I drained that part of the frame and filled the oil back to the exact same level as before, I didn't have the problem.

I checked the oil with the engine running and the oil was not moving, so I guess it is the oil pump gears or something so how do I fix this and how hard is it to fix, also anyone know the price for fixing?

2000ex

#6 Post by 2000ex »

Where are you located? The gears are cheap and are most likely plastic. It does involve pulling the motor from the machine

new daler

#7 Post by new daler »

QUOTE (2000ex @ Sep 26 2010, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where are you located? The gears are cheap and are most likely plastic. It does involve pulling the motor from the machine

I'm in South Boston Va. Where can I get the gears or what ever I need and how hard are they to put in, can I just pull the side cover and put them or do i have to take the motor out of the quad to do this? Please explain in great detail, sorry man I'm just new to this with Dales

2000ex

#8 Post by 2000ex »

You will need to pull the motor from the frame and remove the entire side cover from the machine. The gears can be obtained by Canniboomer or Blackwidow atv here on the website. Has the motor had any of the essential updates?

Here is a link to the manual which shows where they are located smile.gif
http://www.cannondaler.com/files/cdale/man...ce%20Manual.pdf

new daler

#9 Post by new daler »

QUOTE (2000ex @ Sep 26 2010, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You will need to pull the motor from the frame and remove the entire side cover from the machine. The gears can be obtained by Canniboomer or Blackwidow atv here on the website. Has the motor had any of the essential updates?

Here is a link to the manual which shows where they are located smile.gif
http://www.cannondaler.com/files/cdale/man...ce%20Manual.pdf

OK Can I just remove one side cover? and what update can I do with just the cover off to put new gears on the oil pump? What page do I need to look at to get the main details? Sorry for so many questions.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Hold on! If your oil level is way too high you will not see the oil flowing. If you look in the frame oil fill hole with motor running you should see a divider with about a 1/4in hole in it. Is your oil level even or just slightly above/below that divider?