Stripped Oil Pump gears

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
new daler

#1 Post by new daler »

Can anyone tell me how to fix an oil pump that has stripped gears? I have oil blowing out the airbox under the filter. I was told on here that there are only to causes to much oil or stripped oil pump gears, it this the case if so how hard is it to fix and do I have to take the motor off to fix it or just the side cover? Thanks for your help

claas900

#2 Post by claas900 »

If the gears are striped then you have bigger problems then just a striped gear. Something got in that pump and locked it up,decomp,part of a valve spring,bearing parts. Down load the manual and learn how to tear into the motor. That manual is worth its weight in gold. Take your time and read threw it.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes stripped gear is just a indicator of a much bigger problem. Don't run it anymore. Start by removing sidecover, valve cover and go from there. Best case scenario is that a clutch plate broke and got wedged in oil pump gears. Simple fix. Maybe you are lucky and thats all it is. But there is no doubt at this point some foreign object went through either the pump or gears because they don't just strip on thier own. You need to find the source of the foreign object and go from there.

2000ex

#4 Post by 2000ex »

An even more likely scenario is the cartridge plate bolts may have backed out causing that to get whipped around in there stripping the gears. I have found several motors where you take the side cover off and bolts come falling out on the bench.