Crankcase Bearing Removal

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
marshall100

#1 Post by marshall100 »

Hi, just wondered if anyone had any hints or tips on crankcase bearing removal? I have various pullers etc, but there seems very little for them to grip on to.

Thanks

Will

cannondalemaine

#2 Post by cannondalemaine »

I bought I bearing puller fron harbor freight tools, if i remember correctly it barely took it out and had to use a (big) socket to put it in. You can always try a socket and rubbet mallet but that would be my last option after the pullers

marshall100

#3 Post by marshall100 »

The one on the crank plate has barely anything to grip on to, and of course while I do have a spare I'd rather not damage it! much scratching of heads right now....

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

I bought a blind bearing puller set-up years ago and it fits every bearing in the case. The one in the cartridge plate is rather easy. You can get to it from the opposite side, the problem is what to put the cartridge plate on while you are beating the crap out of it! One tip is to put the race on fron the opposite end so you just don't beat the bearing to pieces. A couple of blocks of wood and a driver made for removing/installing bearings and seals will work. I was one of the guys that actual bought one of those factory Cannondale kits and the drivers are all in that kit. When removing the bearing, pull the seal out and use the torch to get the aluminum hot before trying to remove the bearing. Some guys actualling stick it in the oven upside down supported by a pan or something and the bearing will just fall out!

marshall100

#5 Post by marshall100 »

Plate bearing out......

I set fire to it mellow.gif

Now for the bearing in the main case....

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

My favorite remover is a washer that is ground down on 2 side ovaling it. Remove the rollers and the cage from the bearing and slip the washer in the bearing race where it will just catch on the inner edge. Then a inside race puller will be able to grip the washer. If you have an inside race puller large enough that works great to. Heating the case from the other side is very helpfull. Do not get anything so hot it will actually burn or discolor the aluminum though.

marshall100

#7 Post by marshall100 »

The case bearing was remarkably easy, I gave it a little heat, turned the case over on my workbench, gave it a tap from the other side and out it popped.

Any tips for putting them back in? in the past I've had access to a bearing press but that would hold things up going forward. If I can aquire some tools suitable while my stuffs on it's way then it'd make life easier for the next one.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

Same heat trick and I throw the bearings in the freezer overnight before installation. Got to get them in quick though!

marshall100

#9 Post by marshall100 »

So heat up the casing and then take the bearing out of the freezer and get em in pronto?

Happyboy

#10 Post by Happyboy »

Or just press em in with a bearing kit. They slide right in.