Oil leak

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Aromex

#1 Post by Aromex »

The other day I was riding my Cannibal and looked down and noticed oil sprayed all over the passenger side/right leg side of the quad. I quickly stopped it and wiped up the excess oil. Not very much was lost. I then started it up and let it idle but no sign of leaking, so I took it out for another quick ride and by the time I came back it was starting to leak again. However I cannot tell where its leaking from, there was more oil sitting on the fuel pressure regulator. Any ideas?

Thanks!

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Check two areas. First pull the front fenders off and look to see if your ECU tray air filter area is covered in oil. If so it's coming out the breather hose next to the air filter. Second, check the vacuum line coming out of the top of the engine side cover. If it vents into the atmosphere (where the hose is open to the air), it could be coming out the end of that hose (but it wouldn't be a lot). Lastly, I would look for a crack in the case near the starter or stator areas.

Dachshund

#3 Post by Dachshund »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Apr 27 2011, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lastly, I would look for a crank in the case near the starter or stator areas.

Why, do they go missing and cause oil leaks?

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

Ah a wise guy........... At least I have a smart phone with a dumb vocabulary!

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

I would also check if it has a engine mount update. If not check the inside of the ear at front of motor that mounts motor to frame if its cracked that be your leak. Odds are its just coming out breather and running down from filter tray. If thats case you need to figure out why. Overfilled or scavenger pump gear has sheared because of metal in pump. Thats bad since there is just no extra metal in your motor and it had to come from somewhere.

Bill X_R

#6 Post by Bill X_R »

Mine did the same thing once - turns out I didnt fasten the oil cap from when I changed the oil. Pissed me off to, I was in NC for a work trip and was riding at the beach. However I lost enough oil so I couldnt ride - along with the perfect riding spot ever IMO to ride. Place where I dropped was very little elevation change so once high tide went out there was gobs and gobs of flat pristine sand to ride on sad.gif

Aromex

#7 Post by Aromex »

Thanks for all the reply's, i will check those areas this weekend. I don't think it would be coming from the oil cap, but i will definitely check just in case.

I also have a question about changing the transmission fluid. The bolt is the stock bolt, it wont come out and i dont want to strip it. Any ideas?

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

A BFH! Just kidding! I have used a pair of large vise grips and grabbed the outer part of the plug. Make sure you don't grab the case as well, as you will just eat the case up. While you are at it give Brad @ Black Widow ATV or Caniboomer a call and get an aftermarket replacement and throw the stocker in the garbage.

jesshamner

#9 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Apr 28 2011, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A BFH! Just kidding! I have used a pair of large vise grips and grabbed the outer part of the plug. Make sure you don't grab the case as well, as you will just eat the case up. While you are at it give Brad @ Black Widow ATV or Caniboomer a call and get an aftermarket replacement and throw the stocker in the garbage.

^^^I'm with stupid

Vise grips work great on the soft aluminum plug.

Aromex

#10 Post by Aromex »

Over the weekend I took a look at my quad and noticed that the little valve that goes to the airbox that shoots oil into the airbox had never been put in and was dangling down. I decided to ziptie a folded paper towel to it to see if that would solve the problem. It did. So I went out and bought some spare hose and a pipe to pipe connector and I extended the hose down and pointed the hose towards the ground. Now when I ride it the oil just shoots at the ground. My question to you is; Where is this oil coming from and why would it shoot into the airbox. Should I add a little oil to quad?