Cannibal 440 questions need help

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
motoman011

#1 Post by motoman011 »

I have the option to purchase a Cannibal 440 for a guy for not a whole lot of money, it's been rode very little, but has the following issues. Any help and opinions if this is worth it and can be made reliable would be greatly appreciated

No spark? He has a new coil in a box he is providing, not sure the year of the quad yet, I've looked at it and it's clean, but has been sitting for quite some time. I do know from limited searches it has the following

the cheaper front shocks
hydraulic clutch

Did they fix the bearing/head issues or can they be fixed easily, or am I just buying a bike that will give me tons of problems, price wise I can get it for under 1000 dollars. Any help with these would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

speedracer

#2 Post by speedracer »

I would install the new coil and see if it gets spark,simple to do.Un-updated dales will need some money put into them to make it relieable.If you dont mind working on it,might be worth it.Where are you located?

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

A big red flag is he already has a new coil but has yet to install it before selling? Id go with speedracers suggestion right at the guys house before you buy and if it doesnt start assume the engine is smoked and pay accordingly. Id pay $500 to $600 for a nonrunning cannibal max. $1000 if it actually runs. If it was a more loaded model it would go for a lot more but Cannibals are the base nofrills model and not desireable. If your buying just to get a cheap quad and are not ready to invest some quality time and a little money to join a exclusive club then I would pass on a Cannondale. BUT if you want something unique ,can handle a few setbacks which always crop up during a restoration they will eventually be a tear your arms off blast to ride.
A running engine has a good chance of being relativly inexpensive to update (less than $500 ) If it doesnt even run then could cost thousands in parts.
A good indicator of engine condition is to pull the oil filter ,wrap in rags to suck the oil out of the pleats and check for metal . If its clean then maybe the crank is still good for updating. Original cranks can go bad in as little as a few tanks of fuel so quad external condition means nothing.