Hydo Brakes and Clutches

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
marshall100

#1 Post by marshall100 »

Been working on my gasgas and it shares alot of similarities with the cannondale. What other quads currently use a hydro clutch and brake setup? The gasgas will have to have a parking brake on it to get through it's MOT and I've been eyeing up the one on my cannondale, and the hydro clutch as suitable replacements. They're quite compact units compared to those on the gasser and probably easier to get hold of.

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

KTM bikes are the only machine that I know of besides the cannondale that has a Magura hydro clutch from the factory. I'm not sure if the quads have the hydro clutch.

who_gives_a6

#3 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I have a KTM quad and it has a Magura hydaulic clutch stock as well as Magura brakes. The clutch has issues with getting bubbles in it and not working at random times till you pump it a bunch or bleed it, but still nice like the C'Dale system.

marshall100

#4 Post by marshall100 »

Thanks for the info guys, I'll look into the KTM route but if I'm honest, I doubt I'll find the original parts and reckon it would be a better bet to switch to a cannondale setup.

The reservoir on the gassers clutch is huge compared to the dale huh.gif

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

I'm not sure why the reservoir needs to be large. I guess if the throw was long it would need a bigger reservoir. Maybe look for a 400ex hydro clutch. There are a few out there.

marshall100

#6 Post by marshall100 »

It appears to be in keeping with the rest of the bike which is more Honda 700xx than anything I've encountered before, both the ressies and the levers are huge.

Think I'm going to go down the cannondale route as not only do I think they'll work but they're easy enough to get hold of. Well, easy to get hold of in your neck of the woods....

marshall100

#7 Post by marshall100 »

Bit of an update.

Changed the brake lever from the gasg gas to the cannondale, and it's a perfect like for like fit! which thanks to the themadhatter has saved me a ton of money.

Hope to get the clutch done next, though that requires a different connector on the hose so I might have to get some outside help to complete it. What's really strange is that it looks like someone has changed the hose before, and that it runs in line with the exhaust, is miles too long, and the banjo connectors just don't right if you get me.

Think I'll re-route it at the same time, hot clutch fluid could be a problem on a long run at some point.