Gas cap

Bill X_R

#1 Post by Bill X_R »

Need a gas cap for a stock tank. Spent countless hours prepping bike for big ride to check out new shock...last thing to do gas it up and put in on the trailer smile.gif Pop! top of the gas cap comes off in my hand! Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

The stock seal is too soft and squishy and can leak,...all of which naturally makes you keep turning it down more and more -- until the cap breaks out!

But I still suggest that guys might give the Cannondale FuelCap one more try????, and with this nifty bonded seal instead. The different seal will make the Fuelcap stop firmly and with a good grip -- for a completely different feel and performance. It's a big improvement, and you retain the cool Cannondale "C" swoosh logos. $12 for both the Cap and Seal.

who_gives_a6

#3 Post by who_gives_a6 »

If in a pinch and need one today a CR250R cap works as well. Far more expensive than Boomers fix though.

Bill X_R

#4 Post by Bill X_R »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Jun 6 2011, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The stock seal is too soft and squishy and can leak,...all of which naturally makes you keep turning it down more and more -- until the cap breaks out!

But I still suggest that guys might give the Cannondale FuelCap one more try????, and with this nifty bonded seal instead. The different seal will make the Fuelcap stop firmly and with a good grip -- for a completely different feel and performance. It's a big improvement, and you retain the cool Cannondale "C" swoosh logos. $12

PM sent - do you also have the stubby hose with the cool vent on top for the cap?

Bill X_R

#5 Post by Bill X_R »

QUOTE (who_gives_a6 @ Jun 6 2011, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If in a pinch and need one today a CR250R cap works as well. Far more expensive than Boomers fix though.

Yea I used my cap from my DS with plastic. Worked good until 1/2 tank or so - then I couldnt figure out what was going on as to y it ran so bad and kept shutting off. Turned cap and swoooosh was all I could hear. Hope I didnt lean it out to much sad.gif Kinda like holding your finger over one side of the straw.

jesshamner

#6 Post by jesshamner »

Is it possible that the factory had more than one version of has caps too? The seal in mine has never been squishy. I did find out that if I turn it too right out will leak. But if I just snug it down it will form a good seal and never comes loose even during the roughest rides.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Some of the threads on tanks are to small. Switched tanks and same cap and now I have issues. Will probably put a wrap or two of electrical tape around threads to see if that holds cap tight.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

Carefull or you will end up with a gooey mess from the gas eating the tape up. I have used both the stock cap with Boomer's tank seal and an aftermarket version of the CR250 cap made by UFO and they both do a fine job with no issues.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes probably would. Did a rotation of all the caps I have and found tightest fitting one for small tank threads. Seems ok. Kids XR50 cap fits good too laugh.gif

kdeal

#10 Post by kdeal »

Exactly! The XR50 cap is the same as the CR250. That way if you want some bling get an aftermarket billet one for the XR50 and you will be the snizzy!!! tongue.gif