Reangled Injectors

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
who_gives_a6

#1 Post by who_gives_a6 »

So what's the verdict on reangled injectors? I finally opened up the $250 sunbaked E440 I purchased about two months ago and it ended up having that done. It also has a fairly extensive job of porting in the intake/exhaust runners, though no modification to the dome area. The rest was stock and looked pretty good minus a few missing o-rings and stripped/overtorqued bolts. Looks to be hardly run and piston/cylinder look almost new, though some shavings were in the oil. Does have a unicorn case though. One quick note on a comedic side. They overtorqued all the bolts needed remove for top end work but never torqued the cartridge plate bolts. All were not loctited, nor torqued nearly to spec. The engine number ends in 0018 if that means anything. Figure its fairly early but has later bronze colored rod, plastic gears, mag valve cover, etc.

Do the reangled injectors have any reasoning or just an unthought of way for someone to make money years back? Searching the topic found alot of old posts, but nothing concrete.

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

The inventor of this mod never bothered to check how the factory fuel injectors spray. They actually spray at an offset angle. Perfect for the stock Cannondale head. The mod is useless and a waste of money. I have reused the heads on HD injected motors due to the straighter spray pattern.

rayspeed

#3 Post by rayspeed »

Yeah that was a bit of a folly of wasted time and money but does not make the head junk... it just probably looks like it tho! There is somebody that would probably trade you for a stock one if you do not want to run it for some reason... as kdeal said they are more ideal for hd injectors and the porting is worth something.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

The major issue with most of the reanged injector cobble jobs is many of the bungs that were welded in seriously impinged into the intake manifold causing a huge restriction compared to the stock bungs. Many were also not even pointing the right way or symetrical with each other. Its best ot just toss the head in the trash rather than waste the money to fix them.

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

I've rebuilt several SouthBay motors with that silly feature, and have a couple of those heads around here now...even though it was totally dumb to re-angle in the first place, they still make more power with porting compared to a stock head,... and surely enough for an E440 dirtbike. But that should never have been done for a motorcycle anyway, since the clearance to the radiator is already so tight, and there is just no room without spacing out the radiator which can then scuff even more on the fender. But if the job was cleanly done like the ones I have seen, and if the injectors O-rings don't penetrate deeper than the bungways, I really doubt you will notice any difference.
I think at least 3 or 4 different outfits did that, including Timbo at one time....a waste of an idea that went out of control.

who_gives_a6

#6 Post by who_gives_a6 »

It looks good and the porting is nicely done too. But you're right on the radiator. It was pushed in and has been rewelded before. I'm gonna throw it back in and give it a shot though. It's just gonna be a trail/desert bike so don't need every ounce of power really. Thanks guys.