Anybody old enough to remember the good old days?

kdeal

#31 Post by kdeal »

Way to go John!

wistech

#32 Post by wistech »

The head gaskets looked just plain awfull. I sent the heads off to be checked and machined .004" although Ford recomends just tossing them out and buying new ones if they have any warpage at all.. No big deal at $1100 each right?

wistech

#33 Post by wistech »

This is the screen underneath the oil cooler that has the job of taking the unfiltered oil from the engine oil pump and cleaning it before it goes to the high pressure pump. The oil filters are bypassed so it gets dirty sump oil first.(this is to ensure quick starts everytime) There is gravel on the screen. ohmy.gif Most like got there from dirt on an oil bottle when a driver was topping it off. What really worried me was the screen was broken while cleaning it. It pulled out of the plastic housing . Lucky it didnt do it while it was running which would be about $2000 more dollars worth of damage.

The early powerstrokes from the mid 90's had the same setup but without a filter. We lost a ton of injection control valves and pumps until they installed and updated filter screen on the later engines.

wistech

#34 Post by wistech »

If anyone works on these I urge you to do electrical soleoniod and pressure tests of new and rebuilt injectors . Ive had one with an open soleniod and 2 with bad pintle valves right from the factory. The tests take just a few minutes and will save you mega hours rediagnosing running issues with new parts. Got to love the new world of quality control.

wistech

#35 Post by wistech »

I got the beast together and running last week. The only issues I had were a couple of weak radiator hose spring clamps. Otherwise it runs better than it ever has since we aquired it.
Funny thing the driver who normally drive this van called in minutes after I returned it to the lot and said the shifter quit working on the spare van. I went out to the school where he was stuck in park. A couple of bolts holding the shift linkage to the back of the column shifter tube backed out causing the brake pedal unlock mechanism to refuse it to shift. Naturally the driver used both hands and with all his might was able to snap the shift tube in the steering collum trying to get it into gear. I crawled under the van in the wet snow and mud to manually get it into gear and got it back. Turns out Ford has had a problem with these as well and had an updated mechanism to replace it. Thanks for keeping my life interesting Ford huh.gif

loboracer

#36 Post by loboracer »

I have a 2002 Ford with 240k, 7.3L Can't we think happy thoughts?