Trick little items

wistech

#11 Post by wistech »

Who would have thought you can equip your cannondale with HIDS for $35 . This 35 watt kit just blows away the stock worthless headlight bulbs and fit right into the stock housing as a plug and play . . One tip is the larger silver boxes that power the bulbs are not sealed and need to have the covers removed and siliconed . The dale 800 series bulbs are the same as most fog lights . I used them for fog lights and they are better than the chinese headlights on my wifes grand am. I was using sylvania silverstars but HIDs were cheaper and cooler running . It seems the dale housings were made for these bulbs the way the beam pattern is perfect. We are going to hit some rough trails tonight to see how they bulbs hold up .

pcleiter

#12 Post by pcleiter »

Very cool.

I'm curious - the foam really seems to make the headlights a non-starter, unless you're somehow always approaching a steep incline. Does everyone scrap the foam out? Replace it with anything? Do anything to keep the headlights from tipping forward or backward?

TIA

Haz-Matt

#13 Post by Haz-Matt »

QUOTE (Wistech @ May 6 2011, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who would have thought you can equip your cannondale with HIDS for $35 . This 35 watt kit just blows away the stock worthless headlight bulbs and fit right into the stock housing as a plug and play . . One tip is the larger silver boxes that power the bulbs are not sealed and need to have the covers removed and siliconed . The dale 800 series bulbs are the same as most fog lights . I used them for fog lights and they are better than the chinese headlights on my wifes grand am. I was using sylvania silverstars but HIDs were cheaper and cooler running . It seems the dale housings were made for these bulbs the way the beam pattern is perfect. We are going to hit some rough trails tonight to see how they bulbs hold up .

Where did you get the hid kit and how much?

wistech

#14 Post by wistech »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-XENON-C...sQ5fAccessories

I am not sure of the ballasts with the plastic housings being waterproof but I know the meatal boxes are not. I have both styles on my car and quads. Id go for the 5000k or lower bulbs as the light will be white.

As far as the foam around the headlight cut it off. It serves no purpose other than keep heat in the housing and mess up the alignment.

polyesterpig

#15 Post by polyesterpig »

These are the quick disconnects that the BMW motorcycle guys are using.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product...ine_Disconnects

wistech

#16 Post by wistech »

Hey those look like the same couplers with their own fittings installed . We use 1/4 inch and those are about double the price.

pcleiter

#17 Post by pcleiter »

How are they holding up? Is their light as good as you'd expected?

wistech

#18 Post by wistech »

As long as I am downloading a ton of pics mind as well throw this in there. Here is the critical update for anyone using the newer style starter relay. The ever popular rubberised silicone with provide a strain relief to keep the wires from breaking off. Its not a question of if but when .

yamadjs08

#19 Post by yamadjs08 »

I'll have to try that. I think I have 3 or 4 of the newer solenoids all with the wires broken off.

Canniboomer

#20 Post by Canniboomer »

I've been using the Wacker silicone stuff on those, since it also sticks to plastic without peeling... great stuff that John recommended years ago.
But also just mount the Starter Relay pod upside-down from the way Cannondale did -- to direct the wires downward instead, for much less strain in the first place. And consider to break out that silly plastic separator tab between the cable lugs, so the cable boots will fit cleanly..... you can barely see in this pic.