Radiator theory

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Mjollnir

#1 Post by Mjollnir »

If you want to really force coolant across the radiator and want to get into fabrication, I think your best bet would be to make that tube with a right angle on each end so that you could put the upper hose into it from the engine, then direct the coolant across to a relocated upper hose fitting on the opposite end of the radiator, to make it a real crossflow. You could even weld some fins on the tube to make it cool the coolant even more.

That's my feedback for ya'. smile.gif

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

By putting the tube inside with holes in the bottom you are just re creating the upper tank.At the rate the water pump pumps the coolant I am sure that plenty makes its way to the other side before flowing down even in the large tank.If not a better impellar would accomplish the same thing.Supposedly that is being developed as we speak from Maz and boysen.Has anyone ever taken temp readings in different locations on radiator at fully warmed up with the fan disconnected?If I had overheating problems which I dont one thing I would try is a shroud for the fan which covers the entire back of radiator like a car.If you can do this experiment though go for it we will all be waiting for results.Extra capacity is always a good thing.I will take temp readings tomorrow and post em here.

4strokemadman

#3 Post by 4strokemadman »

We did a lot of radiator testing and this was one of the things we did on Ben Jacksons machine. Mere mortals may not have a cooling problem but th Pros are a different story. Mr. Walsh (Milke Wals's Dad) fabricated a radiator like that and we measured temps and it did cool better. Based on that we had Long Mfg. (they make C's radiators, they are a division of Dana Corp.) make a cross flow radiator and they did thermal imaging of the radiator and it made a significant difference. I don't remember the numbers but it was worth it and that was the direction we were heading. Boyesen did the design for the original impeller but our specs changed so I'm sure there is some room for improvement there as well.

We had one engineer spending all his time for months working with the race team doing all sorts of tweaks and this is what resulted:

Water Cools the best
Make sure all the clamps have sufficient force to prevent leakeage (even a tiny pressure loss makes big difference)
Make sure the cap is tight and doesn't leak.
Make sure Cap is really blowing off at the presuure it says.
KTM Radiators are awesome.
Cross flow radiators work really well
Wider radiator shrouds make a small improvement
Having the radiator sit upright by about 1" makes a difference.

I might have forgotten some stuff but that is the majority.

haydug

#4 Post by haydug »

Thank's for the input madman, we will have this radiator done and put into my bike next week. I have a temp gun and will ride it with stock and change radiator's and post the different temps. for everyone.

4strokemadman

#5 Post by 4strokemadman »

Chris Gavlack is that you? If it is I can still beat you in chin ups smile.gif

haydug

#6 Post by haydug »

How many chin-ups can we do without overheating?? biggrin.gif

dawzie

#7 Post by dawzie »

I have Walsh's old Cannibal, it's an '02, serial #56. I run Evans coolant and my fan hardly ever runs. When I bought this quad from Columbia Motor Sports they said that the radiator was "worked on". By looking at the radiator you can't tell if anything was ever done. I have not had a chance to look inside it to see if it has a 90 on the upper inlet fitting or not.

Can anyone enlighting me on any info on this quad. When ever i ask the Walsh's about something on this quad it's like a big secret and I only get part answers. I know this is the motor they tested with different cams and things. They said nothing worked better than stock. They also said that Cannondale gave them all the parts to rebuild the motor after a timing chain broke. It has the alum. cam cover but I did the stud and breather update.

4strokemadman

#8 Post by 4strokemadman »

Do you have an aluminum coolant resevoir? If it's the same radiator, Mr. Walsh modified the radiator in the same way that d11nr is.

dawzie

#9 Post by dawzie »

Stock over flow tank. I have to go out to Walsh's Wednesday or Thursday to see our YFZ. Maybe they can give me more info then.

I see Mike and his team where in first place in the 12 hour race early yesterday.

Rookiex

#10 Post by Rookiex »

Ben jackson is going to help me out with my dales radiator biggrin.gif My fan is on too much he said after he rode it so now its time for a lil work.