front shock set up?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
4punksdad

front shock set up?

#1 Post by 4punksdad »

here is the deal...........stock cannibal with ohlins shocks.

my probelem is this............the front shocks seem to rebound too quickly.

I loosened the spring to the middle setting and that didn't help. What setting on the clicker (screw) do you folks run for very aggressive trail riding. I leap over 18" logs with my 87 quadracer but the cannibal won't soak em up. Same goes for abrupt verticals................love the bike but am starting to hate the suspension.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Do you have the Blaze Ohlins?The stock Ohlins dont have a rebound adjustment.I dont think rebound would be the problem in the case of going over a log or a ledge unless when you are trying to push the front down(preloading)then pulling up on bars and giving it gas to try to make it wheelie before the log or ledge it wont come up.In that case the rebound would be to slow.
My stock Ohlins were just way to stiff.There are lighter spring or even ZPS conversion from Quadshop or others.If you go with a lighter spring settup they will need to be revalved especially if you go the ZPS route.
I believe the lighter spring can be ordered from ATK or from Ohlins.It is a single rate rather than dual rate.This setup will cause body roll in corners.My Ohlins also disintegrated the internal bumpstops that are in between the piston and the shock head this clogged the ports in the piston.Best way to check this is to remove the spring from shock and push shaft in on both and compare it should come back out same rate on both shocks and somewhat fast but not instantly.ZPS conversion is way to go.

Jaybr

#3 Post by Jaybr »

If your running the stock Ohlins, I've got a couple sets of dual spring setups. You can try them out when you come down, only takes a few minutes to install. They're a short top spring and a crossover sleeve, they will help but not like ZPS.

4punksdad

#4 Post by 4punksdad »

Thanks guys...........Jay, I'll take you up on that. Don't forget the front bumper too.

I just read the manual last night and realized that front shocks had no rebound or compression adjustment. I think I will soften them all the way before I ride today and see if that helps. Just dont want the hard hits on the larger jumps that go along with it.

I had seen the screw at the top of the front shocks and assumed it was an adjustment screw. Glad I read the manual before I turned it out!

if this doesn't work I am just going to buy some elkas or something. I cant stand not being able to blip over vertical or beyond vertical obstacles.:head: :cry: