Tranny Filter Solution?

promod

#11 Post by promod »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jul 28 2003, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is a idea I came up with.The spring added to the filter would allow you to put filter into hole in back of motor.(you cant do this well now since when filter is fully seated in hole it is too far in to grab with fingers and on some the filter will not be centered in the plug hole) Then you would put spring into hole in plug.The spring would guide filter into plug.

cannondale27!, Must have missed this old post ohmy.gif , but found it while making a post a few moments ago in the same catagory, but i guess at one time you had pics on what you did here, i kinda have the idea of what you did, but if you still have all the pics and details a re-post of it (or PM/Email) would be appreciated as it sounds like a cool idea! biggrin.gif

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

It works great!

Will look for pics

promod

#13 Post by promod »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 19 2013, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It works great!

Will look for pics

Thanx, Others who missed out reading the topic trick and i will appreciate it! biggrin.gif

ShifT714

#14 Post by ShifT714 »

any pics yet?

kdeal

#15 Post by kdeal »

While I love Steve's idea, we do have an alternative solution. Brad at Blackwidow ATV sells a steel replacement drain plug with a beveled hole in it that lines the filter up as you tighten it to keep from crushing the filter. Since the stock drain plug is a piece of crap anyway, the solution can be as easy as just buying a new drain plug. I had some billet aluminum ones made a while back that I did the same thing to as well.

speedfreek

#16 Post by speedfreek »

Ken, If you have any of the billet plugs left, I would like to buy one from you. If not then Brad it is.

ShifT714

#17 Post by ShifT714 »

Agreed^.

Canniboomer

#18 Post by Canniboomer »

The countersunk end mod for the tranny plug works, yes.. at least to insert the drainplug AFTER the filter is seated and verified. Of course, that 2-step procedure is mandatory....

BUT NOTE!!.. there is one other issue: Each time you insert that type of drainplug, the filter tube will scrape against the slope of the countersink as the filter lifts up -- and that scrapes away small slivers of metal that trap INSIDE of the filter tube.... and then of course that metal just flows directly into the gearcase pump!!

Here is a trick to prevent that... use an old o-ring off the inlet side of an injector, the fat one. Slip that over the right end of your tranny filter. Leave it there permanent. The filter end will elevate to a more centered position, and the Drainplug will insert without scraping off metal burrs.

Canniboomer

#19 Post by Canniboomer »

... bumping this, also see topic on Facebook