Oil puking from crankcase into airbox

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Blasterboy11

#1 Post by Blasterboy11 »

So i picked up this speed last weekend, spend all week re-wiring it and changing the fuel system over to new lines/clamps. After some electrical work i videotaped it firing up for the first time in almost 3 years, and it fired up like a champ.

Then immediately puked about a 1/4qt of nasty looking oil from the crankcase tube. Now i thought the scavenge pump was dead as per what ive read around here, but i have oil flow through the frame. And from what ive read about the breather update, this was done (not my be, but previous owner(s) with non-atk hardware) but it looks correct. Im sure i should re-do whats here but id like to try and get this running by friday for my dads birthday.

Any help is appreciated!

Startup, you can hear the oil squirting after i kill the engine. Sounds like a lot of air in the system and im not worried about the color of the oil as its probably 2-3 years old full of water and whatnot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_OqHPlRuRg

Oil came from the hose with the nipple (top left)

Vent routing

First startup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_OqHPlRuRg

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Drain all of the oil from both sides and inspect condition of the oil. I suspect a blown head gasket or cracked liner is allowing coolant into the oil along with the pressure behind it. If you find water/coolant in the oil prepare for a tear down. The coolant can be from something as simple as a magnesium valve cover ate through. If you find no water or coolant, refill the oil levels to stock and try again. This is a start, but I'll bet you have internal issues.

Blasterboy11

#3 Post by Blasterboy11 »

I figured as much. Its got one of the black powder coated valve covers and there is some gunk seeping from hoses. Anywhere else to get those aside from Brad? I PM'ed him but i know he's been super busy lately.

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

Call him and leave a message. I know he is in the shop right now.

Blasterboy11

#5 Post by Blasterboy11 »

Will do when i get off work. My buddy cranked it again and it didnt spew, coolant drained clean and the spars are clean and free of coolant as well, when i get home ill drain and refill the oil (im out of filters, HELP!) and see where that gets me.

cannonman

#6 Post by cannonman »

If your building pressure after running that short of time, yeah, get ready for a tear down.

Blasterboy11

#7 Post by Blasterboy11 »

Okay good news and bad news.

I drained the machine down normally, during this time i completely had redone the crankcase vents and tubes, i had a pretty decent amount of metal in the oil, a bit more than i get with my moto but no chunks of anything to worry about. After buttoning everything back up the oil settled/separated with water and gas mixed in, not pretty but nothing out of the ordinary for something sitting so long.

I drained 2.0 quarts of oil mix from it. A wee bit more than what should be in there. There was lots of condensation, no real coolant from what i could tell, and a bit of gas, old nasty gas. I threw 1.3ish quarts in it, fired it up and it spit a little gunk out then idled fine without anything coming out. I had it running for about 10 mins with only real high RPMs pushing anything out and its all milky crap, nothing solid just spitting and popping a bit.

So as far as getting it running i think ill be ok, ill get some filters and change the oil a few times to work all the crap out of this and see if it runs good while riding.

Blasterboy11

#8 Post by Blasterboy11 »

Update since January, i pulled it out today for a wash which to my suprise cleaned up well! I yanked the clutch cover off and found the scavenge gears are half stripped, which explains why it would randomly puke out oil. Also upon cleaning i pulled in the clutch lever and felt a really hard pop from the slave cylinder, safe to say something broke inside that and now i have a dead floppy lever. Any ideas what a replacement slave would cost? Also, anyone have a source for the steel pump gears?

werty

#9 Post by werty »

Sent you a pm