Woods quad project

Jaybr

#31 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by aroracer72
hey, have you guys ever thought of installing an oxygen mass meter on you dales??...its a GREAT idea..cause our EFI is the cheapest known to man...and the oxygen censor will tell you if your running lean/rich/or juuussstt right. My dad and i are installing one this winter(simple)..and i wanted to know those throttle body and all those adjustments you were talking on another thread..about how to make our dales start easier..or something like that..what are those number for the measurements??....thx alot if you can brighten my knowledge on this subject...l8er guys.

The Injector Offset and Injector Flow Rate adjustments determine the amount of fuel pumped through the injectors, problem is I have no idea what the proper mixture would be or how you would program the computer to automatically adjust for you. I'm sure it could be done, but Optimum Power wrote the software for the ECU and they hold the programing secrets.

haydug

#32 Post by haydug »

I know Cannondale was working on a (correct me if I'm wrong) closed loop system, where (like new autos) it had an o2 sensor and the computer would automatically adjust for lean/rich conditions. I am not sure it can be done with the current system. However, if you have a sensor and even exhaust thermometer, you could check your bike if it is running rich/lean and adjust it with a D&M kit.
I know I'm taking my bike to the dyno and they have a "sniffer" to detect lean/rich condition. I also have talked with Scooter and they have an exhaust made with sensor and temp bungs welded to an exhaust.

aroracer72

#33 Post by aroracer72 »

my dad is customly installing a oxygen sensor on my dale...and is thinking of making a modified dale ECU that has that oxygen sensor and auto adjusting modded into it...hes thinking of doing this as a product..to sell that would help pay for my racing and stuff....would this be something you guys would be interested in buying????

Jaybr

#34 Post by Jaybr »

I think it would be a cool project, but I'm not sure I would be interested in purchasing, would need more details. The motors run great when you get them tuned well and Temperatures and altitude don't seem to have much effect, so I'm not sure the O2 sensor is necessary. I'm more interested in purchasing an exhaust temp gauge for tuning purposes.

aroracer72

#35 Post by aroracer72 »

well..it is just a ECU with an oxygen sensor built in..and some other things to improve its senses and make it more reliable..our dales are suppost to automatically shut down if they are at a dangerous temperature...and mine didnt..which resulted in my motor frying up............well..it was just an idea..anything you guys would buy if it was available??..any electronic things??...my dad is a wiz at that stuff......let me know what you guys would like to buy if it were an option to.

EuroGOD

#36 Post by EuroGOD »

Originally posted by aroracer72
..any electronic things??...my dad is a wiz at that stuff......let me know what you guys would like to buy if it were an option to.

I think your project would be more successful if you could redesign the wiring harness itself. Just do the complete opposite of what you mentioned above.... Rather than add more weight, look at reducing the cable mass and routing.

My S440 has my own version of the original harness, with the D&M map select plugs and wiring binned. Lost well over a pound there and now I can eat some more. biggrin.gif :cool:

I'd take a look on ebay for someone offering a cheap harness and start from there.
Good luck and don't fry anything!

DangerRanger

#37 Post by DangerRanger »

Plan on paying Scooter some big bucks to turn on certain unused areas of the ECU and complete new software....unless your dad writes for Optimum...it is an SOL plan. I have worked a ton with Scooter.....and I know he isn't risking his job.. The wiring and setup are in the ECU (along with hookups for three more injectors, acc pump, and alot of other unused funtions) but they will are require a complete rework of ECU hex, software, etc.... We talked about it, but the feasability vs. $$$ spent isn't there.
I have a new rewire setup for the quads...it works great.
ben

EuroGOD

#38 Post by EuroGOD »

Originally posted by DangerRanger
I have a new rewire setup for the quads...it works great.
ben

...and it surfaces again wink.gif
How's the progress with the project Ben?

DangerRanger

#39 Post by DangerRanger »

The final version will be done before the end of the month.
both quads are in pieces, motors on bench, frames bare and clean, and alot of parts in the oven, or ready to powdercoat.

I ran a couple trial versions that worked out sweet, then just found smaller easier compact replacements for the mods. I plan on tying it all back up just like stock...cept maybe using some different color weave loom for the cover.

I will need to know rev levels of the harnesses before I can mod them. there were a bunch, and each one is a bit different.

was thinking I take a harness in, tear it apart, mod accordingly, recover and send back to be reinstalled. time consuming for most riders, but a valuable investment to keep them bulletproof.

ben

cannondale27

#40 Post by cannondale27 »

aroracer,
A small handlebar mounted tach and O2 sensor readout would definitly sell.This would allow people without D&M to at least set their idle and it would show a lean or rich condition.I dont think Optimum would have any problem with someone selling something like that since if you see a lean condition you would then have to buy a d&m kit to adjust.Adding a closed loop system would not give you more power.On cars it is for emissions and keeps your mixture at 14.7-1 that ratio isnt always the best for power.

Dangerranger
Let us know when you are ready with the harnesses.Im in:clap:
How about those maps we talked of at the Ironman?