Front shock spring conversion?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
sledheaded

Front shock spring conversion?

#1 Post by sledheaded »

Hi, I was just looking around my garage and came across a set of old blown out works 250r triple rate shocks, and got an idea. I was thinking of putting the coil sping set up from them to stock ohlins shocks:rotf Has anyone tried this before?, I know the lentgh will work but am wondering if theres a major difference in spring rate? To bad theres to much sloppy snow on the ground to make some test runs.

Edited out a mistake in my spring question, I know the rate is going to be different, but dont know if its a bad difference as far as travel usage goes.

thomez

#2 Post by thomez »

I don't think they will sag unless they are valved to ... so I can't tell ya anymore than that. Maybe ask Jeff?

Jaybr

#3 Post by Jaybr »

I've used Ohlins top springs like the Blaze and Moto shocks have on Speed shocks and they help soften them up a good bit. Not sure how the Works springs would work.

Are the short springs Heavier on those or lighter? If their heavier it wouldn't help any. And as Thomez said, their probably not going to sag.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

It will work great!You will have to have new crossovers made though the ID is too small.You also will still want the valving of the Ohlins changed.They will actually be to soft.

Swampdale

#5 Post by Swampdale »

The damper valving has nothing to do with the "sag". The free length of the combined stacked springs should at least equal the available stroke of the damper (shock). If the spring stack is to short there will be some play at full extension. If the spring stack is too long, you may have too much preload and thus minimize the available compression.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

What I am saying is that the stock Ohlins(speed,cannable)made up for softer valving with a stiffer spring.Using the works 250r springs will soften up the shocks so you will need to have stiffer valving or the front will bottom out.At least it did for me.140lb it bottomed even in whoops.Fix the valving and you have a plush ride that doesnt bottom.The ride height will be the same.

Swampdale

#7 Post by Swampdale »

True. The slower (stiffer) valving will add increased bottoming resistance. The hydraulics only come into play during dynamic events or when the suspension is actually in moition. It controls the speed at which the suspension travels upward and downward, thus we have compression and rebound dampening. The springs (rate) however, control the sag while at rest and while in moition allow for the suspension to return to a neutral position after upward travel. There is an art to choosing the correct spring rates and dampening characteristics for optimum control. I'd call the guys at ELKA to discuss what you want to do. What might seem harmless may infact make for a worse and unsafe ride.