Oil leak starting to scare me

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
ozarkdaler

#1 Post by ozarkdaler »

Alright guys here it goes. I have a small oil leak on the left side of the quad and for some reason it is gathering on the lower left side of the battery. Alright I take all the plastic off and clean everything up and do not find any leaks anywhere. I take it back out and ride for around 3 hours and I get back and I have more oil in the same spot. I take everything off again and still cannot see anything. Where the oil is gathering up at does not make a lick of sense anyway at least to me. Where the **** could it be coming from???

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

Maybe it's not serious. Earlier quads had the sidecover vent line routed down the left strut near fuelpump... that line could be a source of tranny-case oil fuming out, from an overfill (or other issue, like engine oil leaking into the gear case). But first, find out if that hose is the source.

ozarkdaler

#3 Post by ozarkdaler »

I will check it in the morning...

wanablaze

#4 Post by wanablaze »

I agree with Dave. Where is your oil breather mounted? Mine tends to gum up a bit now that I've eliminated my airbox.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Great suggestions.Also do you have motor mount update?If not check for cracks.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

If oil is coming out of the tranny breather hose you are getting crankcase pressure and possible lube into your tranny.

ozarkdaler

#7 Post by ozarkdaler »

Alright nothing I do not see any cranks in the case and The hose looks clean to me now what?

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Take the trans vent and move it towards back of quad.Clean battery and see if oil spot reappears.This has happened to me when I overfilled tranny.

ozarkdaler

#9 Post by ozarkdaler »

I will try that and get back with you guys. Thanx

ozarkdaler

#10 Post by ozarkdaler »

Update:
Dave was right it was the tranny oil that was coming out. I drained it during the oil change and put 75w-90 valvoline synthetic in. Still some came out again which I may not have gotten all of it out unsure.gif . What is the cause of crank case pressure???