Sputtering/Pump Screaming

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Psychosis

Sputtering/Pump Screaming

#1 Post by Psychosis »

Went riding yesterday and noticed a few things. Each time I shut the machine off, the fuel pump screams reall oud and sounds like it's going to explode. Can anyone explain that problem? My other question is about how something else is happening.

Each time I take a jump, when I come down it sputters. I'll hit the landing and slam the throttle and it'll pop and sputter for about a second or two and then be fine until I take another jump. It also did it when I did a little wheelie on it. Lifted the front end off the ground and it just lost all power. It feels like it's not getting any fuel in it so that leads me to think of the fuel tank o-rings or something similar. But why does it only happen when landing/wheelying? Any help would be appreciated. Taking a trip to an MX park in KY w/a couple YFZ's next week and don't want to be dragging down.

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

I know this sounds stupid, but one thing to make sure of is proper chain adjustment. If the chain isn't adjusted properly then the motor will actually shut off or act erratically. Check that first.

Swollen gaskets would be a constant problem I would think. Not just on jumps. Also take a look at you connections to the tank and make sure they are fully seated. I saw a moto where one of the lines weren't fully in doing something similar..

Psychosis

#3 Post by Psychosis »

Fuel connections are good. Just checked chain and though i adjusted just before riding, it's a little more loose than I'd like it to be. Tightened it up and will test that tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up and hope that that's it.

CdaleRacer0128

#4 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

bout 1-1/2 " of slack, and derno is right that'll do it, and also it will cause your chain to skip and destroy sprockets very quickly
sad.gif

Derno24

#5 Post by Derno24 »

Leric if you want I have a rear sprocket to match that!!!smile.gif

Derno24

#6 Post by Derno24 »

I thought it was a sinker for a fishing line...

Psychosis

#7 Post by Psychosis »

That was it. Adjusted it again and it seems to jump fine now. No sputtering but the fuel pump still screams some. I noticed that after riding for a little while. I shut it down and it screached. Not sure if that's a sign or what.

Derno24

#8 Post by Derno24 »

Are you running race Gas? You may have restricted flow from the tank. Or a line isn't hooked up right. These are just suggestions. Then again if the pump still works and the bike runs don't mess with it.smile.gif

bouncerdude

#9 Post by bouncerdude »

if the pump is screaming it sound like the fuel system has a leak. if there is a bad seal and its sucking air it will scream. but if you have a bad o ring on your injectors and its pushing fuel out and leaking, it will aslo scream. check for any fuel leaks in the entire system, before and after the fuel injectors.

thunderwolf

#10 Post by thunderwolf »

How did the chain stay on that sprocket for it to wear down like that?