Pressed on hub removal?..

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
CdaleRacer0128

Pressed on hub removal?..

#1 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

Anyone know how to remove a pressed on sprocket hub? aka the stock one or the one on my RPM axle? stripped mine out pretty sure so i ordered a new one, its pressed on so i need to get the old one off n new one on..got any ideas on how to do this or who would have it? they said my dealer or a machine shop, don't think we got them here:confused:

dawzie

#2 Post by dawzie »

I went to Home Depot and bought a 4 foot piece of 2 inch "black" pipe. Stand the pipe up, stick your axel in it with the snap ring side inside the pipe. Tap both together on something really solid. I put a piece of 1/4 inch flat plate steel on my concrete basement floor. After you get the feel for how hard you have to wack it, it will move enough to get the snap ring off. Turn the axel over and wack that thing off. BE SURE you are wearing gloves :eek:

hope this helps

Oh, be sure to use some kind of grease on the splines when installing the new hub. I also squirted the old hub with screw loose the day before I tried wacking IT off ohmy.gif

Jaybr

#3 Post by Jaybr »

Most tire shops around here have a press, you might try there.

Dawzie's solution sounds pretty good, but it's pretty easy with a hydraulic press.

CdaleRacer0128

#4 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

lol and dawzie this worked? without killling anyone or my sister's cat who lives in the basement? lol

jfarrar

#5 Post by jfarrar »

i remove mine the same way dawzie does it works.the secret is make a clikckin sound with your tongue and go ''here kitty kitty''

KYmxracer52

#6 Post by KYmxracer52 »

I just replaced mine last night. I didn't even have to take the axles out of the swingarm. Just pecked it over enough to get the snapring off and it slid off. A lot more easy than I thought it would be.

dawzie

#7 Post by dawzie »

it seems to be who's axel is it. My RPM axels come right apart. The Lonestar ones are a bit of a job. :drink:

CdaleRacer0128

#8 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

alright well imma go pull the axle off now, get the snap ring out and see if it will just "fall off" if not then ill first try dawzies way, if not then the dealer down the road carries RPM and said they'll do it for me..

KYmxracer52

#9 Post by KYmxracer52 »

To put my new one back on, I had to slide a pipe over the axle and hit it with a hammer to drive it on. Lubed the splines up some also. Harder to get a new one on than get the old one off. Old one didn't have as meany teeth.smile.gif

CdaleRacer0128

#10 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

kentucky dude, you have a lsr right? i have an rpm, it wont come right off, ill try something else in the morning, maybe a giant pipe n a mallet or ill just take it to the RPM dealer down the street..i have 3 days until i get my new hub in so i have time..im just hoping this is the problem, if not im selling all this stuff getting a new swingarm carrier and moto axle