got any ideas?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Happyboy

help!!.....please

#1 Post by Happyboy »

OK, a friend of mine bought a roller dale with a messed up motor. Turned out that the motor only had lost a bolt and didn't do much damage. He fixed all of that and is now about to work on getting the frame and stuff all setup for the motor. In the meantime, I had my motor out to do some powder coating so we put his in.

My frame, his motor. It will not kick over. It will crank and crank and crank but just won't hit. We checked spark and fuel and its good to go. Heck, its my frame! I know it works. At this point I can only guess the timeing is way off.

Before we tear it apart I thought I would throw it out there and get other suggestions. Throw them at me and I will try it.

acarli3

#2 Post by acarli3 »

who's ECU are you using with who's injectors?

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

OK, we tore it back apart and the timing is dead on. So, we went ahead and tore the head off, looks great. Put it back together and still nothing. We checked the timing twice before we closed it back up so we know for sure that is not the problem. At this point we are using my entire roller setup and his motor. My injectors, computer, etc....We tried his computer and injectors and it wouldn't fire so we switched to mine thinking maybe his were messed up. Guess thats not it.

HELP!! The guy that had this before ran 110 octane in there for some reason. Would this affect us at all? :cry: :cry: :cry:

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

If you have fuel and spark has the plug fouled? Do you have any codes from the d@m . I know from experience how easy it is to switch injector wires with sensors. Is the flywheel ok and not spun?Any fuel lines pinched or hooked up incorrectly. I just thought I would throw these out there.

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

The plug is getting wet. Not really getting black though. I have always had my plugs foul a dark color. Heck, we pulled it one time and it was as clean as a button. We are going to change the stator out next. UG!!

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

Well, changed the stator out, not it. We are about to give up on this freaking thing for now. We are going to put mine back in just to be sure that a motor can start in my garage. smile.gif

Any ideas on his?

So far here is what we have.....

Working chassis
Tested:
spark
injectors
timing
hand cranked--felt normal
stator
battery fully charged

The only thing we are getting outta this is a flame thrower. Everyonce in a while it spits a big freaking flame out the back. And I mean big.

Jaybr

#7 Post by Jaybr »

Did you check the Flywheel? keyway should line up with the C in Cannondale.

Do you have a D&M kit? If you do, try resetting the TPS.

Sounds like a tuning problem to me, I've had mine shoot flames when I was playing with ECU settings.

Happyboy

#8 Post by Happyboy »

Checked the flywheel. All good. As for the tuning....hmmmm. I will check it but it exactly what my motor was before. I can't mess with his computer but I will mess with mine and see. Thanks.

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

If its shooting flames then you are getting fuel and spark. Its just the wrong amounts. Time to clear out the cyllinder of gas(I like a propane torch) and try it with a fresh or dry plug. Low fuel pressure will foul a plug(disconnected suction coupler,torn o ring,plugged filter or tank strainer, and bent prongs on an injector wire will give a no start backfire. High fuel pressure will do the same(pinched hose on the return or disconnected coupler)

Not to be a smarty pants but are you positive the valve timing is right on with the crankshaft. If done by the book it you probalbly did it right. How was the valve clearance?

I think maybe its just a switched connector or something so simple it was overlooked.

Happyboy

#10 Post by Happyboy »

Talked to wistech on the phone and we went over a few of the easier items. All checked out. Thanks to John I now know what you guys meant about the flywheel. It is aligned properly. too bad though, I got all excited since it was something I had not checked.

It still sounds like a tuning problem to me though. My TPS really shouldn't have to be reset though. I haven't had to touch it before and I didn't touch the throttle body with this work. I will reset it tommorrow just for shits and grins but don't think that will do it.

Oh yeah, we forgot to check the valve clearance while we were in there. sad.gif It is going to get pulled again anyways. Would the clearance keep it from starting or just effect the way it runs?

more???:drink: