Rebuild Testing

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
wistech

#21 Post by wistech »

Been there done that. Mine came to a screeching halt under full power. It was pretty cool. I suppose youll be needing a temporary crank now? sad.gif Ill have to fill you in on what I learned at ATK.

bknight

#22 Post by bknight »

wistech
sad.gif could you fill us all in smile.gif

wistech

#23 Post by wistech »

First off I have to say that I didnt go to the ATK event to get any top secret info. The questions I asked were to help me personnally better understand the engine and what to look for when I am servicing them. . As far as thier cranks are concerned it apears they are going through them to make darn sure they are within specs along all axis. To be honest I dont think they know for sure exactly why the original cranks have such an unusual failure rate. They are making sure thier cranks are assembled and balanced as best they can. Maybe thats all it takes. As far as Im concerned if they have no failures then thats good enough for me. One thing I did find interesting is that they are able to move and align the cranks after assembly which many have said cant be done. Really if you have a specific question about thier products just give them a call. They seemed open for suggestions from all of us that showed up. They are working on such things as improved ball joints at an economical price .

cannondale27

#24 Post by cannondale27 »

Well it was the crank.

cannondale27

#25 Post by cannondale27 »

Nothing got hot.Even wristpin is fine.Rod bearing just self destructed.Why?

cannondale27

#26 Post by cannondale27 »

No discoloration of rod.Cams are like new yet.I may attempt to split the crank tonight at work.Only thing wrong is crank.

cannondale27

#27 Post by cannondale27 »

Wistech I have the stock original crank from this motor yet so I guess the trail quad will have to wait.Or maybe I will finish that one and let this one sit.

Not sure at this point but I am not looking forward to the wait for parts game.I am thinking of shelving them both and buying something else I can have fun on.Working on them I dont mind but waiting for simple parts is really my biggest frustration.That along with the unknown factors of this whole motor might be time to retire the dale to the shed for awhile.

Jaybr

#28 Post by Jaybr »

Sorry to hear it failed 27, that really sucks.

cannondale27

#29 Post by cannondale27 »

We have a 100ton press at work.I just am not sure how to mount the crank in there.Not much to hold onto on the pin end.Might have to use a cutting torch:D

sillysspeed

#30 Post by sillysspeed »

I have a few questions.. Why does it seem like everyones crank is failing lately? I know Winky is having some problems with his. Are all of Winky's cranks failing? Is is just the latest batch of Winky cranks failing? It just seems like since the group ride they've been going up. Didn't seem like many at all were going up before.