Clutch Plates sharp or round side

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cdalemx301

Clutch Plates sharp or round side

#1 Post by cdalemx301 »

hey last time i put a clutch in i was told to put the sharp sides of the metal plates in one direction and the rounded off side in the other i dont remember which side goes in which direction can somoen help me out with that???I also read on here somethin about rubbin the metal plates on the floor to roughen them up is that true or not?

Lurker Blaze

#2 Post by Lurker Blaze »

sharp edges go in on all plates and washers ,and scuffing plates is good idea just make sure you inspect for warped plates and or glazed, clean with contact cleaner after. inspect tabs for wear and look at basket for notched or cracked webs.just dont over tighten when reassemling and make sure pessure plate is seated correctly before tightening or clutch wont engage properly and will have to be reassembled.

NRath

Go, LB, Go!!!!

#3 Post by NRath »

I don't believe I'd be using the floor to scuff the plates! If they're used, try a Scotchbrite pad. If they're new, just put 'em in, unless there's some surface rust or something on there that obviously doesn't belong, then revert back to the Scotchbrite pad.

Don't forget to coat the fibers with oil before assembling. I usually drop them, one by one, in a coffee can with oil when I start, then by the time I have the old ones out, they're ready to go. They don't need to "soak" for a certain time, just make sure they're coated. Dry plates are a bad thing. Other than that, follow LB's advice.

Happyboy

speaking of clutch plates

#4 Post by Happyboy »

I had my inner most friction plate torqued a little bit from hard starts during drag racing and bought a replacement plate. But the replacement I got had silver tabs and the stock had bronze colored tabs. Anyone know if the material makes a difference.

Brad77

#5 Post by Brad77 »

Sharp edges on metal plates?

After I read this I went and looked at the new plates that I got from Haydug. I didn't see a sharp side and a round side. I guess I am looking at the right plate, drive plate. Although, I will be installing aluminum drive plates instead of the metal ones. Does this make a difference, as far as sharp edges go?

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Happyboy just make sure thickness is same as old ones.

Brad77 those aluminum plates didnt last very long when they were stock thats why they went to steel.Less weight might make it a little snappier though.

cdalemx301

#7 Post by cdalemx301 »

brad u cant tell by just lookin at the plates but if u run u thumb slowly over both sides one is round and the other is sharper...i dont know if the aluminum is differant or not