Steering problem with new a-arms

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Fullbore 350x

Steering problem with new a-arms

#1 Post by Fullbore 350x »

I bought some diamond racing a-arms for my speed. After i got done installing them, I took it out for a test ride to see if everything was alright with them, and the steering feels off. I will go down my yard and every time i hit a bump, it will pull the front end to whatever side I hit the bump on. I can also be going in a straight line and whenever i let go of the handlebars, it will go until the front tires get turned alittle bit, and then cut really hard to the right until the handlebars are turned as far as they can go. Ive checked everything and it all seems good. Except for the fact that im using some 17.5"-18" stock polaris predator front shocks until i save up some more money for some 19" long travel front shocks. Would using these shocks cause it to steer like this or is it something else.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Did you set the toe-in of front wheels?They should be at 0-1/8 toed in at front if it still does it go to 1/4 toein.

Jester

#3 Post by Jester »

ya, sounds like your toein is set to far in.

If it wanders, its toe-out
if it seems to tight its toe-in.

some say 3/4" in, I run 1/4" toe-in

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

how do you measure?

Jaybr

#5 Post by Jaybr »

There are several ways to set the toe, here's the method I use:
[list=1]
[*]Put a ratchet strap on each side of the handlebars and run to grab bar and lock the steering strait ahead.
[*]Place a block that is about half as tall as tires next to front and rear tires
[*]Lay a strait edge across blocks so that it's flush with rear tire and extends past the front tire
[*]Measure distance from the strait edge to rear side of front tire
[*]Measure distance from the strait edge to the front side of front tire
[*]Adjust tie rod so that distance at front edge is 1/16" further than distance at rear of tire.
[*]Repeat on other side
[/list=1]

this is for 1/8" toe in, change the 1/16" to 1/8" for 1/4" toe in.

Fullbore 350x

#6 Post by Fullbore 350x »

I have already tried adjust the toe-in. First i put the tires perfectly straight with no toe-in, and it still was turning weird. Then I made it toe-in alittle bit, and it still done it.

Fullbore 350x

#7 Post by Fullbore 350x »

Also, there is alittle bit of play where the a-arms bolt onto the frame. The frame is about 1/8" to wide for the a-arm mount. Could this cause it to steer like this.

TheJaspMan

#8 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by Fullbore 350x
Also, there is alittle bit of play where the a-arms bolt onto the frame. The frame is about 1/8" to wide for the a-arm mount. Could this cause it to steer like this.

What kind of arms?I have ASR full hiem arms and my bump steer increased ten fold. It's like they move 'too' freely if that makes sense.

I really think going to a deeper offset and adding a good stabilizer will help.

I also had some space intetween the arm mounts. But my arms came with shims just like the motor mount updates do. Then they fit tight. You could throw some washers in there to take up the slack.

Fullbore 350x

#9 Post by Fullbore 350x »

These are diamond racing a-arms, and thats pretty much what mine are doing. It seems like my front tires follow every bump on the ground, and its kind of hard to control because of the handlebars jumping around all the time.

TheJaspMan

#10 Post by TheJaspMan »

Yep, too much bump steer. Mine do the same thing. I am used to it now. But you definetly don't want to let go on rough roads!

After installing and comparing I really question if they were originally designed for the 400ex but are sold as Cdale. I also wonder if the tie mounts being lowered in the stock stem would help. Maybe flatten the angle out a little.

It feels a lot more stable. But the bump steer is hard to get used to.

LurkerBlaze has some Houser arms and they feel like you are riding on rails. But that could also explain the $650 diffrence price. I may have to go that route for my wifes quad . I doubt she could control my quad at high speeds this way. So no sense in bothering to mount this setup onto hers.