Steering problem with new a-arms

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
CdaleRacer0128

#11 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

it isn't the arms, it has to be your set up. Mine handled perfectly, that is i thought, until i rode on a set of walsh arms and never looked back:)

TheJaspMan

#12 Post by TheJaspMan »

Do the Walsh use full heim? I really think that has a lot to do with it.

If you lift the front end up stuff just moves a little 'too' easy. Almost floppy. It's solid, just has super freedom of movement.

Once I start setting up my wifes Cdale for MX I'll be able to compare next to each other. Her machine will probably be done a little diffrent than mine.

wistech

#13 Post by wistech »

Are your arms caster adjustable. I had to do a lot of adjusting on my asr arms to get it to be more neutral steering.

TheJaspMan

#14 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by wistech
Are your arms caster adjustable. I had to do a lot of adjusting on my asr arms to get it to be more neutral steering.

Yep, fully adjustable.

wistech

#15 Post by wistech »

I would suggest getting them to zero caster. If the caster is way off the tires will toe in a lot depending on compression of the suspension.

TheJaspMan

#16 Post by TheJaspMan »

I'll give it a try.

Fullbore 350x

#17 Post by Fullbore 350x »

Well i adjust my toe-in and some other things, and it seems to be better. I think another reason its handling like this, is because of the shocks im using. When i get some 19" shocks in, i will see if it helps any. Also, how do you all keep the nut that holds the front sprocket on from coming off. Ive lost two of those nuts in about 20 minutes riding time all together. Is there a special way to keep them tight. I will buy one off somebody if they have an extra.

jfarrar

#18 Post by jfarrar »

you need to set your caster at 4.5 - 5 degrees negative.meaning the upper balljoint should be toward the rear more than the lower by 4.5-5 degrees.0 degrees will make it wander all over just like it is now.the more you lay them back the less it will jump around but will start to get hard to steer.4.5 is recommended by lonestar for mx and gncc and desert is like 6.5 i believe

wistech

#19 Post by wistech »

You should have a thin washer behing the nut that you can bend the tabs over to keep it in place. I also use a little locktite for aluminum.

Fullbore 350x

#20 Post by Fullbore 350x »

It did have the washer behind it, but i didnt put any loctite on it. And the Diamond Racing a-arms arent caster adjustable, are they?