Missing Air Funnel

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
banzairx7

Missing Air Funnel

#1 Post by banzairx7 »

Realized today the air funnel is missing from my airbox. I figure it's bad not having it. What ill effects will it missing cause? If I should have one does anyone have an extra they want to part with?

Here is a pic of the missing part-

bknight

#2 Post by bknight »

well you could call haydug and see if he has one.
:confused: on this one someone must have cut it off. :confused:
is the air box on the atv

CannTESTmaN

#3 Post by CannTESTmaN »

I dont exatcly see how it could be missing, I mean It is what bolts to your throttle body. I Can only think that somone cut it off flush at the air box. Can you feel a rough edge around the Rim?

banzairx7

#4 Post by banzairx7 »

I didn't look close enough to be able to tell why it's not there or how it was removed. I had the air box apart a few months ago and thought it was funny that there was no transistion from the air box into the throttle body. I put it back together and didn't think twice about it. I was looking over the parts manual a few days ago and saw that funnel and realized mine was gone.

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

...maybe it's just a ACE airbox? -- I hear that all they do is shorten the inlet funnel?. Does it have any real benefit?, or is the main gain with the mapping? I would be hesitant to just cut on the inlet funnel, but maybe somebody tried that on yours?

thomez

#6 Post by thomez »

Canniboomer, you are mistaken about the ACE airbox. It does retain a velocity funnel, just one of a shorter length. The dirt bikes had a shorter funnel than the quads, is my understanding, and the ACE airbox combines the dirt bike funnel with the quad airbox.

I installed the airbox with no mapping change and noticed a difference immediately.

DangerRanger

#7 Post by DangerRanger »

holy jeez...for once I am with Thomez...what is this world coming too??

I have seen some people rip them while taking them off...and just left em. It does create some problems on the low end, but can improve top end...I would get them replaced.

BMW

Canniboomer

#8 Post by Canniboomer »

Thanks guys... perhaps somebody tried a D.I.Y. circumcise of his inlet boot, and messed it up!!...

...or, just another gruesome thought!--- what if it dried up and cracked?, and eventually powdered away and got sucked into the motor!?.. I want to just laugh and say I'm joking, but with these Cannondales, who knows anymore?