Tech Tip: Ball Joint removal

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Jaybr

Tech Tip: Ball Joint removal

#1 Post by Jaybr »

After beating countless balljoints out of spindles over the years, I spotted a tool in a JCwhitney catalog the other day and decided to try it out on ATV ball Joints.

The tool is from JC Whitney, part number ZX812149N $17.99

Jaybr

#2 Post by Jaybr »

On of our 400ex's has a broken spindle, so the pics are from it.

First loosen the ball joint nut until you can spin it with your fingers and it's flush with the end of the stud. Place the tool over the ball joint. Open end goes between ball joint and spindle, lever end goes over end of stud.

Jaybr

#3 Post by Jaybr »

Using a 3/4" socket, tighten the bolt in the tool, the lever pushes the stud out of the spindle as the jaws close.

It literally took only a few seconds to get each ball joint popped loose from the spindle using the tool.

Jaybr

#4 Post by Jaybr »

Another view on the bottom ball joint.

I'll never use a hammer on a spindle again:)

USAMoto00

#5 Post by USAMoto00 »

Nice tip. Do you see those working for pressing the ball joint out of the a-arm as well?

Jaybr

#6 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by USAMoto00
Nice tip. Do you see those working for pressing the ball joint out of the a-arm as well?

No, it wouldn't work for that.

The only way I've ever pressed them out of the arms is in a hydraulic press.

Happyboy

#7 Post by Happyboy »

I pressed some joints out and in while i was up at the dunes without a hydrolic press. I used a big vice. Just a normal everyday table vice. To press them out I placed a large socket over the outside of the joint on the arm so the ball joint could press out of the arm into the socket. I found another socket that fit right into the ridge in the boot and fit it on there by hand. Then placed the setup into the vice and tightened. They came out with a little muscle but not very hard at all. I pressed them in the exact same way just in reverse. No damage to the boots at all. Just becarefull with the boots and this should work for you really well.

Buddah77

#8 Post by Buddah77 »

Great Post! My last job cost me two ball joint boots. I'll be gettin' one of those. Sweet!!!!!!!!!!
:clap:

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Very nice!I will be adding one of those to the box right away.

USA here is a pic of tool I use for pressing balljoints in and out of A-arms.I put the piece of aluminum in between the balljoint and tool when pressing them back in to keep from damaging them.
Tool is a alternator pulley puller Truecraft #2818.

USAMoto00

#10 Post by USAMoto00 »

Sweet, thanks!:clap: :usa