Difference in Speed and Glamis shocks?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Mjollnir

Difference in Speed and Glamis shocks?

#1 Post by Mjollnir »

I bought a pair of each from nickg. They look a bit different - the ones that I think are the Glamis shocks have coils that get closer and closer together toward the bottom, while the Speed (I think) shocks have coils that are a uniform distance apart.

So what's the difference in ride or other qualities?

THanks,
Marc

Jaybr

#2 Post by Jaybr »

I think you got them backwards, from what I recall the Speed shocks have progressive springs.

I believe the Glamis shocks are valved softer.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

The progressively wound springs are Ohlins attempt at a dual rate spring using one spring only.

nickg

#4 Post by nickg »

tyhe ones wrapped in bubbles are the glamis shocks. and so you guys know, according to cannondale's parts listings, all these have the same spring. the speed shocks i sent do have different springs on them, i suspevt that they are a simialr rate, but a different supplier. i got a box of shocks and like 50 springs from various suppliers. i understand that they really put a lot of effort into the valving on the glamis shocks. as far as ride, stick them on and let us know!!! i suspect the glamis fronts are the way to go(that is why i bought them)

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

To further verify, the Glamis shocks are actually stamped CN 3750
on the top. All of mine (3 pr) have had the "progressive" spring wind and stamped "100-48" on springs.
For the speed shocks, stamped either CN 1741 or CN 1742 (exact same shock both numbers), I have found 3 various Ohlins spring winds. ATK also shows 3 Ohlins spring sets, and even they are confused as to which are soft-softer-softest, or hard-harder-hardest. I now "think" that 100-48/101 = firm, 100-48/071 = firmer, 100-48 = firmest I had tried to relate these to exact Cannondale part numbers with ATK over the phone, but we had no luck at the time.

Mjollnir

#6 Post by Mjollnir »

Nick, that's what I thought, but I thought maybe I was confused. The Glamis shocks (the new ones that were in the bubbles) have a spring stamped 180-48, but the part number on the shock body is the one Caniboomer posted.

The Speed shocks aren't stamped on the shock body, but they definately don't have the progressive wind.

Sweet, thanks for all your help guys, and thanks again for the shocks, Nick!

Marc