Just when I though Ive seen it all.

kdeal

#11 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by haydug
That reminds me, I went into our locall Honda shop onetime for something, and get called back into the service department to look at a 400ex. The mechanic was trying to start it, but it was popping, and backfiring. I told him I thought it was out of time. So, I go back up to parts and a few minutes later they go dragging it up the road trying to start it. Seems he had ran a new battery dead trying. He said "it's working it's way into starting". Well, I kinda laughed about it, then told the owner of the shop they should replace the guy's starter if and when they did get the bike up and running for the hours they had sit there and cranked it over. Then another mechanic took the topend off, and it was out of time, so he got it running, and low and behold the crank case started leaking oil. Back out with the motor.
Anyway, just because someone works at a bike shop, do not assume they are mechanics. :confused:

Hey were experienced....we been working on these things a good 2 months now....

:eek: :eek:

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

This poor owner of this quad really got the run around.He brought it to our shop after the rebuild was done by a shop in Hudson WI.Well knowing the history behind this after doing a couple minor checks with no sucess we pretty much figure the motor was going to have to be torn down and everything checked.My boss is at this point unwilling to spend the time to do this.If a Cannondale that we sold comes back we will work on it but if we didnt sell it he really doesnt want to do anything major.Now I would at home but just dont have the time so Wistech got the call.Good job Wistech.Another one saved soon:clap:

USAMoto00

#13 Post by USAMoto00 »

Hey J, I didn't mean from fault of installation. I just meant coming out in pieces and maybe certain parts not where they are supposed to be(from the thrashing you give 'em). lol Shoot, as much time as you have in these motors, I think you are more qualified than our local "C-dale Techs".:clap: By the way, where have you been hiding? I tried to call a few times. Is the water situation coming along at all?:usa

wistech

#14 Post by wistech »

In a roundabout way ATK might be helping out with a few of the missing parts even though it has nothing to really do with them. ATK came up with the reciepts and sure enough the missing parts were delivered,the mechanic just never put them in. I would have liked to see what he did when he saw a bunch of orings ,circlips,washers and a crank bearing race sitting on the bench. He may have just swept them under the carpet EH?

jfarrar

#15 Post by jfarrar »

been diggin a hole outside getting to the pressure tank.so little daylight sucks.tomorrow out comes the pump and hopefully everything will go smooth.we need water soon it is starting to smell like an amish whore house around here.glad to hear ya got the bolt out.i got one out of the case one to go.

yeah under the rug they went.what a retard.do you think the flywheel is worn that bad by crankin the motor over with the starter?wonder how many batterries they killed.probably wore out the sprag clutch to(or whatever it is called)

Exodus

#16 Post by Exodus »

Man, I got to feel a little sorry for that guy. Talk about sticking it in and breaking it off. That had to hurt.

wistech

#17 Post by wistech »

I tested the stator and the wires are still intact but the plastic that the magnets are molded into are ground to crap. The edge is gone. They must have cranked it over hundreds if not thousands of times. There was fresh oil up in the head and it flushed all the cam lube out into frame. Its a good thing Steve figured it was serious. It would have been $1000 more bucks for labor and parts to fix it right. I dont think the owner was ready to spend that kind of cash.

Jfarrar whats this about diggin holes for amish whores :wow

wistech

#18 Post by wistech »

Oh found out a couple other things. The front sprocket nut is stripped and the cam chain guide is missing a snap ring. It just gets better and better.

wistech

#19 Post by wistech »

Got the motor back in. Found even more fun stuff. Chopped wiring that needed soldering,leaking fuel quick connects, fuel pump positive terminal stud stripped out and loose,swingarm pivot bushing missing.

Finnally gassed it up and what do ya know it fired instantly and purrs like a kitty . Dam good day.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

USAMoto00

#20 Post by USAMoto00 »

Happy ending:usa