rear axle nut torqque

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
cdrookie

#11 Post by cdrookie »

i tried loctite with no success. have a little success with drilling and tapping a hole in the between the triangle "points" and tightening a cap screw onto the threaded part. kind of hard to explain but easy to do. also drilled and tapped a hole thru the lock nut and thru the threaded part and tightened a cap screw against the axle. in effect, pinning the two parts together. but for some reason it didn't work either.

cdalerider75

#12 Post by cdalerider75 »

Well how come it doesn't come loose from the factory? Must be some kind of trick to it. When I took mine off it wasn't that tight, if it is to tight can't you damage the bearings?

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

If everything is designed right and the crush tube in between the bearings is in good shape and not worn you should be able to tighten it up as tight as you can without hurting the bearings.Problem is some of the tubes were made wrong or could be worn.If you spin the axle with nut loose then spin it again with nut tight and it spins harder the sleeve in between the bearings is junk.I think another factor in these nuts loosening is that once the splines on brake hub are a little wore it will tend to loosen the nut.Also those three little screws make dibits in the nut if you tighten the nut and screw ends up close to these it will want to go back into the dibits.