what color?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Happyboy

#11 Post by Happyboy »

Can you tap the existing hole? No. The hole that is left when you cut the stockers off is between 3/4" and 7/8" The heim is 3/4" threaded. That is why I removed that hole and put a new one on.

The heims I got are from ASR. They are the same heim you can get from rod end supply and actually cost about the same. The heim themselves are only like $30 each. But the pin and taper that you must have to fit the spindle is $20 each from ASR. So, $50 per heim joint! OUCH!!! But, those heims are Chromoly with Kevlar insert. You never have to grease them and I don't see that I will have to replace them for 2 years. We will see though.

As for the rest of the arm, its not an easy modification. You can't just drill out that old tubing. It was milled out and it took a long time to do. Fortunatly my machine shop guy is being nice and cutting me a huge deal. If you have access to this stuff then yah, it is cheaper to do this to your arms. But, if you don't....don't even think about it. You could easily spend $200 on modifying the arms and then you have to get the heims. So, $400 for the arms with heims.

MX Quad Dad

#12 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Originally posted by Happyboy
Can you tap the existing hole?  No.  The hole that is left when you cut the stockers off is between 3/4" and 7/8" The heim is 3/4" threaded.  That is why I removed that hole and put a new one on.

What about a 3/4" heilacoil??

Happyboy

#13 Post by Happyboy »

That could work. On the stock tubing I would not space the heim out anyfurther than you had too. I don't think I could take too much torque.

Happyboy

#14 Post by Happyboy »

End Result! If I put the heims all the way in I am +3/4" So, gonna make that +1 total per side. And, got some new tie rods made up just this afternoon. Man, my new friend at the machine shop rocks! :head:

USAMoto00

#15 Post by USAMoto00 »

You sound......Happy!:clap:

Happyboy

#16 Post by Happyboy »

LOL, next time I will just buy aftermarket arms!! :usa

But, yeah, I am very happy with them. I just hope they perform as well as they look.

Happyboy

#17 Post by Happyboy »

Well, I took it out today for a test drive. ****! Talk about a plush ride. I love the wider arms and the Axis shocks. The better ball joints also allow the arms to drop down farther adding like an extra 1"-2" travel. We are racing it tommorrow 100 miles up in Ft. Smith, we will see just how much it can handle. Then she is coming down for a winter rebuild.

FUGITV

#18 Post by FUGITV »

after your rebuild try this color:head:

those are some pretty slick a-arms you built, great job on the welds!! glad to see people are cheap like me and go the 'home made' route. aftermarket gets so expensive sometimes:wow

FUGITV

#19 Post by FUGITV »

one other thing i was going to add was about where to get the rod ends and such.

i rebuilt my front end for about 80 dollars. i went to the local sprint car shop and bout rod end and heim joints made for cars. they were about 15 dollars a peice and if they can handle a race car, they should definately handle a quad. the other thing i found out was Lonestar's 'ball joints' are actually GM truck outer tie rod ends!!! went to the local auto parts store and got them for 8 bux a peice. better than payin LS 25 a piece:)

wistech

#20 Post by wistech »

So what GM truck do those ball joints fit? Got a part number? Does the taper fit good?