Any ever build their own A-arms?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

Measure toe-in with springs off shocks compressed then measure toe-in with quad raised off the ground extended.The difference is bumpsteer.Less the better.Caster of the spindle affects how much you "feel"the bumpsteer and the tendency of the wheels to want to go straight.

cdalerider75

#12 Post by cdalerider75 »

cannondale27..

From what I understand.. from you helping setting up the toe in on my bike.. toe in is how parallel you front tire is to your back. typ. the front or your font tire is facing inward about 1/8" at each tire and the back of your front tire is facing outward 1/8"

but what I can vision is how does the distance of a compressed shock effects toe in? I can vision how it effects camber but not toe in..

Sorry if this stuff sounds so basic.. just trying to learn as much as I can..

Good artical about Toe, Camber & Caster
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/gen...neral/align.jsp

comander420

#13 Post by comander420 »

if anyone can sketch something up I have a full professional version of solidworks I can try and draw them up on

wistech

#14 Post by wistech »

One thing that also helps is to mod the stock steering stems to the moto stem. The bottom mount needs to be dropped down half an inch to work with long travel arms. I did a couple today . Heres a pic of one bfore going to the powdercoater.

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

The reason you get bumpsteer when suspension goes up and down is because the tierod pivots arent in line with the pivots of the A-arms at the frame it is exagerated when you are turning also.This is the reason long travel snowmobiles and the predator use a rack style system.

jacobw

#16 Post by jacobw »

wisetech so if I put a +1Lt arms on my cannibal i would have to modify my stock steering stem or not to work with the houser LT arms?

cdalerider75

#17 Post by cdalerider75 »

Does anyone know if the solid 3D CAD models files ever got leaked out?? Does anyone have the 3D model files of the Frame or anyother parts from someone that might of worked for cannondale??? I bet the files are in Pro E.... If not looks like I am going to have to start creating a 3D model...

wistech

#18 Post by wistech »

Originally posted by jacobw
wisetech so if I put a +1Lt arms on my cannibal i would have to modify my stock steering stem or not to work with the houser LT arms?

I am not sure if you would have to but I know my tie rods just hit my frame under full compession with the moto shocks and the standard stem.

jacobw

#19 Post by jacobw »

ok I was just wondeding I am planning on running a houser Lt +1 with Lt Tcs Shocks since they are cheaper than elkas and I am sure will perform about the same I wont be able to tell the difference. So I seen the post about the modified stem so I was unsure

cdalerider75

#20 Post by cdalerider75 »

running a houser Lt +1

Jacobw... why +1's only... are +1's worth the money.. go +2's...