drag racing!!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
440speedrider

drag racing!!

#1 Post by 440speedrider »

A couple boys i ride with have 450s, one has a 450r and it has a high compression piston, cams, port and polished head, full exhaust, air box and some little stuff and the yfz has about the same thing but the head work, and they wanna drag race me, i have a 2mm stroker crank, 450 kit, head work, reangled injectors, modded air box and full hmf exhaust, everyone seems to think that they will smoke me, but me, will i have a chance???

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

Its more on the rider than the quad. I am a fatty so I lose alot of speed because of that. If they weigh alot less than you then they have an advantage.

440speedrider

#3 Post by 440speedrider »

well we all are about the same riding level, but im about 6'3" and 220 and ones about 5'11" 180 and 6'3" 200

wanablaze

#4 Post by wanablaze »

Practice your launch!smile.gif

440speedrider

#5 Post by 440speedrider »

i think i got the launch down, their is so many bald spots in my yard it isnt funny!! i hope i way those cocky guys, they think nothin can touch their 450s

claas900

#6 Post by claas900 »

..are you running race gas like they are?..but it sounds like you have the upper hand,465 to 450's..make sure your gearing is good so the motor just pulls and not reving out all the time..
....when you beat them make sure you come let us know..smile.gif

MX Quad Dad

#7 Post by MX Quad Dad »

So many people think drag racing is all machine and very little rider. Stop in at a NHRA meet one time and say that. the holeshot is a lot more than acceleration because if you brake to early for the corner, you lose. But being in front to the corneris a big plus. thats why most racers practice the launch so much, but you have to feel whats going on with the rear tires long after the inital launch. Before my Cannondale days I rode a Scrambler and my son raced a Banshee. He won a lot of races at first but almost always had to work his way up from the back (made watching fun) I made him practice holeshots aginst the Scrambler in 4x4 on grass. I would kill him at first but it made him realise full throtle is not always fastest. I think he took like the next 9 holeshots.

Also In a race situation the adrenalin can realy mess up you sence(sp) so you need to overcome that also

And if the rest of the people there are aginst you wining they can use the adrenalin thing aginst you. At the strip the oldtimers use to sike up the kids (especialy the smartazz ones) and they would either come out to hard and go up in smoke or miss a shift. It was fun except if you were the kid.

wanablaze

#8 Post by wanablaze »

I'd make sure it's tuned right and you should be fine. Don't let them PSyche you out and keep your foot under the shifter, ready to go.

dalewannbe

#9 Post by dalewannbe »

I'm not a dragster neither, but I'd make sure your gearing is correct. I'm guessing you could probably gear it a little higher now witht the increased power.

NRath

#10 Post by NRath »

So, what's the word???

That weight your giving up is definitely going to hurt. You should be on par with the power. My guess is that it's going to come down to the launch. I would definitely be expecting to race them 3 or 4 times switching lanes to make sure everyone's on top of their game.