ATK Comes Through

2000ex

#21 Post by 2000ex »

The more I am thinking about this it is very dependent on how these arm mfg's are taking these measurements. There are so many variables such as tire height measured frame height of bottoming and free length measurement.

The Walsh specs are a bottomed frame height of 1.625 and extended is taken at 13.25 inches. I see others that take the measurements at 1.50 and 12 inches. The only REAL way to do this is to do them yourself. It is either going to be the LTR or the 450r Houser though I agree.

I will take the measurements here in the next few days on both Walsh and Houser LT arms and post what I have. I will snap pictures of the measuring process so people can see how they should properly measure their suspension.

cannondale27

#22 Post by cannondale27 »

That would be cool.Dont include bumpstop at all in your measurements.Act like it isnt even there.I like to slip a 2x4 under frame with TT tires all the way around.Free length just raise it up til you feel binding in joints at steering full lock left and right and a 1/4in. less or so.Like you said lots of variables including where on a-arm lower mount is located in or out up and down.Sure would be interesting to try the Texiera setup I may call Ohlins and go for it.I know they make shafts long enough and shorter bodies are actually cheap but would be whole new game for valving.

2000ex

#23 Post by 2000ex »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 24 2007, 03:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That would be cool.Dont include bumpstop at all in your measurements.Act like it isnt even there.I like to slip a 2x4 under frame with TT tires all the way around.Free length just raise it up til you feel binding in joints at steering full lock left and right and a 1/4in. less or so.Like you said lots of variables including where on a-arm lower mount is located in or out up and down.Sure would be interesting to try the Texiera setup I may call Ohlins and go for it.I know they make shafts long enough and shorter bodies are actually cheap but would be whole new game for valving.

I always use a 2x4 under the belly to measure the full compression. The tires used in these measurements should be the tires you are going to use in that particular machine. The proper way to measure is with no shocks on the machine so the bumpstop is not in the measurement process.

I would LOVE to get some feedback on those arms and setup. They surely look sweet. I talked with Ed for a while and determined that it would cost me too much to get another set of LT shocks custom made just to run his application

cannondale27

#24 Post by cannondale27 »

Sounds great.Looking forward to writeup.I bet some will be suprised at either wasted travel or frame hitting which is actually very dangerous.In past have amazed guys who were just getting beat up at MX track.Put a slide in spacer under thier bumpstop they complained "how is less travel going to help matters?"Well they didnt realize thier frame was hitting ground!Have said it before 2x4 under quad no springs on shocks jump on front bumper and it should not touch 2x4 even with four guys sitting on quad.Of course if you have proper measurements done as you say then you KNOW it wouldnt hit.