clutch problem...NEED help

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
quadman22

clutch problem...NEED help

#1 Post by quadman22 »

alright first off, this site is awesome i've really learned a lot about dales from reading back. Anways, i just bought an 02' Cannibal knowing that it had clutch problems. The problem is, when you release the clutch lever the clutch wont disengage and the bike wont move. At most it creeps forward a very little when i give it throttle. Could i need new springs or can i do something with the adjustment screw on the pressure plate? Im really stumped and i just want to ride my new bike!!:cry: :cry: ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

claas900

#2 Post by claas900 »

...Provideing everything is good,clutch fibers,steels..then more then likely its your adjustment screw..even a weak clutch should move the bike?..has it been apart?..Maybe something is missing?

CDMX215

#3 Post by CDMX215 »

sounds like detent ball could be missing or adjustment on inner hub

claas900

#4 Post by claas900 »

...Iv been thinking about it,unless that adjustment screw is way off,it should grind going into gear. Have you taken the small side cover off and looked at it?

Jaybr

#5 Post by Jaybr »

check the pressure plate.

when you reassemble the clutch, if you leave the last metal plate on the inside of the pressure plate it will not line up with the teeth. This holds the clutch open all the time so it won't engage.

pull the pressure plate and make sure all the steels are on the basket.

quadman22

#6 Post by quadman22 »

yeah i took the pressure plate off and cleaned it all up. it almost looked like the first plate may have slid out of the grooves or wasnt installed properly last time the clutch was put in. But i think i put everything back together perfectly today. And the ball isnt missing. i put it in where it should be. Should the last plate come right to the end of the basket? it seems like it doesnt wanna stay in the grooves. Lastly, how do you do the adjustment? do u undo the allen head screw first then mess with the hex head bolt or is it the other way around? i couldnt seem to get that allen head screw out.

Jaybr

#7 Post by Jaybr »

That last plate was probably your problem, and yes they go almost to the edge of the basket

To adjust:

Loosen the nut, turn the hex screw all the way in then back it out 3 turns and lock the nut back down.

Make sure the lock nut is good and loose when your turning the screw in.

quadman22

#8 Post by quadman22 »

so i undo the hex-head bolt first rather than the allen head bolt? and im pretty sure i put the plates back together ok, so why would it still be all screwy??? maybe i should rebuild it again

Jaybr

#9 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by quadman22
so i undo the hex-head bolt first rather than the allen head bolt? and im pretty sure i put the plates back together ok, so why would it still be all screwy??? maybe i should rebuild it again

The hex head bolt is actually just a locking nut on the allen head bolt. Loosen it first then turn the allen in all the way and back out 3 turns.

quadman22

#10 Post by quadman22 »

would this adjustment screw cause the bike to act like this though?