Custom flywheel ?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

Im almost done building the first prototype flywheel and was wondering how much wieght will make a difference. Right now the flywheel is 4 ounces heavier than a stocker but I should be able to get it down to the same wieght or lighter. What do the aftermarket companies offer for flywheel wieghts. How much lighter is safe? How much heavier is good for gnc racing? Is there an industry standard .

I hope this is successful because the big stroker motors are tearing the stock flywheels apart. Pinned or not.

J. Delaney

#2 Post by J. Delaney »

I think most aftermarket flywheels are lightened. I know Triail Tech takes a monkeybutt load of weight off of the Yamaha fly wheels. I've thought of taking my flywheel in and having some material milled out of the center between the hub and the magnets But I don't know how much reliability I would be sacrificing for a minute amount of performance gain. I think Canniboomer has taken the flywheels into Trail Tech and they were pretty impressed with how light they were from the factory.

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

I wouldn't bother adding any weight. With what we can do with mapping its not worth adding weight to lower the power band at all.

USAMoto00

#4 Post by USAMoto00 »

I'm glad to see someone working on this because I've gone through 2 now between Michelle and myself. Why do the strokers put so much more force on these that they go? I really hope we can get this straightened out because my quad is ridiculous fast now when the flywheel holds on that is. lol Good luck and keep us updated!!!

Sandstorm

#5 Post by Sandstorm »

We just put a -16oz flywheel in the Yoshi.. Stock is 60oz so it's now at 44oz.. Buddahs says bring your 505's he wants to picknick at the top of the mtn.. It made a huge differnece on the top end revs ripping up Sand Mtn. I was shifting into 4th at 3/4 hill.. How much does a stock flywheel weigh???

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Amost finished. I might be a little off but I think the stockers weight 1 pound 4 ounces.

GDITheman

#7 Post by GDITheman »

looks sick. i wondered when this project was going to start.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

Wistech, it looks like you are going to need a whole lot more screws for these flywheels. Do you need me to send you any more? AND when's my flywheel coming? LOL

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

Heck the hard part was getting enough spun flywheels that were good enough shape to start this project. I have never spun a flywheel myself but it several of the stroker drag race /holeshot guys have been spinning them regularly and sent me a few to play with. Im not sure how to test them as there might be a safety issue with external moving parts. Im thinking build a steel cage inside a flywheel housing as a scatterguard and then bolting this prototype in my moto. I figure Neil or Tim could practice holeshotting for a couple hours to see if they can break it. Ive got it down to within 2 ounces of the stock wieght. It took at least 10 hours and 7 welding /machining operations to get this far. Keeping it in perfect alignment and balance is what makes it so take so long.

USAMoto00

#10 Post by USAMoto00 »

That looks awesome! How long before testing begins?lol I hope these work out because I'm not a drag racer and I've still had issues with these. Michelle's lasted about 8 months since the stroker install and mine lasted 2. Keep us updated.