A-arms, my options

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
theJeStEr1340

A-arms, my options

#1 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Ok, so there is a lot of play in the joints on my right A-arm. this is gonna need to be replaced real soon. I can get some VW joints welded on fairly cheep, but then later on I will be doing the same thing again.

I would like to Get a set of +1 arms, but don't have a lot fo money, in fact I will have to wait till the end of april or middle of may before I will have saved up enough for them.

So what are my options? I really like housers, but how much are they?

Exodus

#2 Post by Exodus »

You've got a bunch of options. Theres the aftermarket arms like houser which are the best choice. You know they will last. Theres a half a dozen cheaper arms out there that might get you by. But are maybe a little better than modifying your stock arms.

I would look a little closer at modifying your existing arms with ball joints, if you have the skill and equipment. Theres better ways to put good joints on them other than welding on a VW joint. I dont remember who it was on here, but somebody modified their arms to take a high performance ball joint. Maybe they will chime in, or you can try and search it out. When he was done, they really looked like something that would last a very long time and gave him about a +1 on each side.

My point that I'm getting to is, I would do what I could to get by for this next summer, and buy the full on best of the barrel arms next winter. You might even be able to get some new shocks to go along with them, or maybe long travel. Thats just my thoughts, take what you want.

jwheat

#3 Post by jwheat »

I run the ASR +2+1 chromoly a-arms. They are great and have held up to a lot of jumping. They aren't as expensive as some of the more popular brands and they are good quality.

I believe Happyboy is one that redid the a-arms that Exodus was referring to earlier. I remember seeing the pictures on them and they looked good. PM Happyboy and see if it was him and he might be able to set you on the right path.

Jimbo :hammer:

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

Here ya gooo....and I changed the color...smile.gif Will post pics soon.http://www.cannondaleriders.com/vbb/showth...=&threadid=8698

theJeStEr1340

#5 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Yeah, I read happy's thread, but he also said it was a little expensive, and I don't have the tools or the skill.

I don't want to go any wider than +1 becuase I liek to ride in the woods, and around here the trails are tight. I thought about savign a little more and gettign a set of houser +1 LT's and then selling my elka's on it now, I know I coudl get $500 for them, and then try to find some moto ohlins for $600. I might go that route.... who knows, I need to get owkring (start the 7th) and then save up soem cash.

moto440

#6 Post by moto440 »

if you find moto ohlins for 600 share the wealth!! i want a set to replace the ds650 shocks my moto has on it!!

cdalemx301

#7 Post by cdalemx301 »

What about +2's with a 4/1 rim wont that give you more travel and less bump steer but put you back to plus 1

theJeStEr1340

#8 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Originally posted by moto440
if you find moto ohlins for 600 share the wealth!!  i want a set to replace the ds650 shocks my moto has on it!!

Saw some for sale a little while ago.

Well I can get some +2 +1 american star or something like that arms for $125. I really want to get some houser's, but I might have to get the +2's if these don't hold up. Who knows... I was talking to the person that ownes the +2's, he said they should be fine because they will put me as wide as my rear end.

motorider68

#9 Post by motorider68 »

ASR has some +1 for the c-dales, they are claimed to be long travel but still utilize the stock 16 inch shock. I have not tried these arms, I am in the same dilema as you. I want the housers but can't afford to spend the money now, but I can tell you after owning the LT +3 housers they are worth the extra money. I ASR's are $529 I believe and suprisingly have some sort of layaway plan that you might be interested in. From what I hear the housers are the way to go but these maybe something you could check into.

theJeStEr1340

#10 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

I am gonna try to get the cheap +2 +1's from my friend and then next summer get me an LT setup after the first year fo college if I can swing it.