Won't Start

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Psychosis

Won't Start

#1 Post by Psychosis »

Ok. Got the quad fully assembled and lifted into the frame. I quadruple checked all connections and made sure everything was hooked up right, good, and tight. Put oil, coolant, etc, all in and when I finally went to start it, it wouldn't come alive.

The first tap of the starter it just about turned the engine over but couldn't quite do it. Since then all I've been able to get is a click or what sounds like the starter barely trying to move. I am confident about my work w/the engine and I can't find anything setup wrong.

Any ideas what to look for first? Thanks in advance again.

CannondaleRider

#2 Post by CannondaleRider »

Battery is charged right?

Thats what it sounds like, but I figure you have already checked that

Psychosis

#3 Post by Psychosis »

I've used two fully charged batteries so far and nothing.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

After assembling the engine did it turn over on the bench? You should be able to rotate it with a 3/8 inch rachet on the flywheel nut. If it seems to lock up tight at a certain point dont try to force it. You may have mistimed the valve train.

Psychosis

#5 Post by Psychosis »

I'm not sure what to do but I've found what's going on. When I had it on the bench it turned over fine w/no problems also buy I think you've spotted the problem.

I took off the stator cover and the flywheel won't turn to the right. I turned it backwards to the left and then when I hit the starter, it'd turn over then stop again. When it stops I can hear a sound like the piston slapping the head or something along those lines.

So to sum it up. Turn flywheel left and then hit starter and it'll turn over and then stop w/a slapping sound like it's stuck or making a connection w/something. Any ideas? It's getting really frustrating which is why I'm still awake after 2am.

Psychosis

#6 Post by Psychosis »

Anyone? What would you guys recommend to do in this situation? What exactly have I messed up? I plan to get started dropping it out again and fixing what went wrong in less than 7hrs so if anyone can give me some insight I'd appreciate it.

azcannon

sound like timing

#7 Post by azcannon »

If you are really sure about everything then maybe you didnt get the timing right - if its not a bolt hitting clutch basket or something like that. Your top dead center bolt in your crank has to have the washer/collar on it to not hit the crank , its pretty easy to time with the cam lobes all facing up and in a little bit with all the marks lining up , did you take off your timing gears off of your cams ? if so you can change your timing that way and did you assemble the counterbalancer with the crankshaft i the correct timing order? and check you oil pumps to make sure they spin freely ( all three )

Psychosis

#8 Post by Psychosis »

I'm working on getting it out again so I'll check on all that. Guess I'll see what happens.

texasdale

#9 Post by texasdale »

it sounds like piston to valve contact. You could have the timing off or if you put the piston in backwards it will hit the valves also. it is a simple mistake to make.

cdrider02

#10 Post by cdrider02 »

It seems like I heard of that happening but I can't remember where?biggrin.gif