Greasing

Q&A about routine maintenance.
CptHook

Greasing

#1 Post by CptHook »

I asked this question way back when I first started coming to these forums, and after some recent posts I dont think the info I was given was completely correct.

Besides the balljoints, what needs regular greasing, like before every ride. I have only been able to spot grease fittings on the ball joints, and there arent even any on the swingarm. So what else needs to be greased regularly, and how to I get at it.

theJeStEr1340

#2 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

I pull my swingarm bolt every 3 months, put a little greas on it with my finger, and then slide it back in, takes about 10 minutes.

If your bearings ever go in the rear, invest in a bearing carrier with a grese zerk on ot. I will be doing this very soon.

haydug

#3 Post by haydug »

You should also replace the axle bearings before a failure, and while you are there, put a zerk on the factory carrier so you can get grease into the bearings.
While pulling the swingarm bolt is a good idea, it doesn't help the bearings, go ahead and pull 3 more bolts(shock and brake caliper) and put some grease in the swingarm bearings as well. Twice a year would suffice.

Another overlooked area is the brake caliper pins, the caliper needs to be able to slide very easily,or your brakes can drag, among other problems. This takes a few minutes to do, and twice a year would be more than enough. It also is good to bleed and flush the brake system once a year, use quality fluid, and take your time, it's money well spent.

Make sure to add grease to the sealing lip on the air filter as well.

And also, use di-electric grease on the connectors. I clean mine once a year, and re-apply the grease. I also make sure my connections are zip tied together very tightly, to prevent vibrating loose, and causing a stalling problem.

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

Hey Doug, I have noticed that alot of the carriers have a little grease zerk on them so you can add grease and I would assume it would be for the bearings but.......Those bearings are sealed so how does that grease help out?

KYmxracer52

#5 Post by KYmxracer52 »

I believe you have to pop the seals off the bearings on the inside.

CptHook

#6 Post by CptHook »

Cool, thanks guys