Tranny oil?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
kdeal

#11 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (hogman @ Jun 12 2006, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First off it was not my goal to start any arguments so i hope that dosnt happen. I just was curious because im gonna need some soon and wanted to know what to run. I got some 80w gear oil like the owners manual said from walmart to use for now. If you guys just run regular motor oil in there then i will probably get some Harley Davidson 20w-50 Syn3 oil to run in there since i can get it cheap from work. Not to open up any more cans but what oil do u guys run in the engine? I was gonna get some cheap oil for breakin because thats what Tim told me to do, but what to run after that? I was just gonna get some non synthetic 10w-40 for breakin but what do you racers run? Ive been running 10w-40 yamalube in my raptor for years with no problems but its not as high performance as these are. So i need suggestions on really good oils to run in a pretty much MX only racing dale.
Thanks
Joe

P.S.
No arguments just suggestions! lol

Hogman,

I wasn't talking arguements....LOL...just opinions! I love the Shell Rotella idea above and have heard the same things about it. My brand loyalty has been to Mobil One synthetic on the engine side and Motul on the tranny side. I buy the Motul by the gallon jug, and get the Mobil one @ Walmart in the gallon or quart size. Cost is still under $5 a quart, so it's in the same league as the Rotella in cost. I would definitely no matter what brand you choose stick with a full synthetic oil in the engine side. The other oils tend to get dirty way too quick in the Dale motor.

wistech

#12 Post by wistech »

I really dont think it matters what you use as long as you change it often . Personally I have used it all . Never really had "wear " issues . Most engine issues were from lack of updates and crappy parts.

acarli3

#13 Post by acarli3 »

I've used Mobile 1 syntheitc 10w40 in the engine and Redline synthetic lightweight in the tranny. I've used lots of brands as well. I found the cheaper non-synthetic oils, including Yamalube mentioned above, turned black fast. I typically change the engine oil every 5 hours though. I've found the synthetic doesn't burn up as fast. I've stuck with the blue colored redline because it sticks to everything. People who have taken the engine apart that have had redline in the tranny seemed impressed at the coverage that stuff has. However, Redline is expensive! I used to use their engine oil as well but didn't find it any better than a $5 quart of Mobile 1 syntheitc. For the tranny, I've found nothing better than Redline.

Like Witech mentioned, you can use anything as long as you change often enough. Using the cheap Walmart 88 cents a quart stuff then having to change every hour isn't worth the effort to me though. It's a good idea to use during break-in though.....dont' run it for more than a couple of hours.

kdeal

#14 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (acarli3 @ Jun 13 2006, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've used Mobile 1 syntheitc 10w40 in the engine and Redline synthetic lightweight in the tranny. I've used lots of brands as well. I found the cheaper non-synthetic oils, including Yamalube mentioned above, turned black fast. I typically change the engine oil every 5 hours though. I've found the synthetic doesn't burn up as fast. I've stuck with the blue colored redline because it sticks to everything. People who have taken the engine apart that have had redline in the tranny seemed impressed at the coverage that stuff has. However, Redline is expensive! I used to use their engine oil as well but didn't find it any better than a $5 quart of Mobile 1 syntheitc. For the tranny, I've found nothing better than Redline.

Like Witech mentioned, you can use anything as long as you change often enough. Using the cheap Walmart 88 cents a quart stuff then having to change every hour isn't worth the effort to me though. It's a good idea to use during break-in though.....dont' run it for more than a couple of hours.

^^^^^GOOD ANSWER^^^^

hogman

#15 Post by hogman »

Thanks every one all that info is very helpfull. Im probably gonna run the redline in the tranny as soon as i can find it. As far as the motor oil ill probably go with mobil one synthetic om the engine. Where do u guys get the redline oil from i havnt been able to find it i guess ill just have to order it or something?
Thanks
Joe

banzairx7

#16 Post by banzairx7 »

QUOTE (hogman @ Jun 13 2006, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks every one all that info is very helpfull. Im probably gonna run the redline in the tranny as soon as i can find it. As far as the motor oil ill probably go with mobil one synthetic om the engine. Where do u guys get the redline oil from i havnt been able to find it i guess ill just have to order it or something?
Thanks
Joe

Summit racing-
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...15&autoview=sku

Jegs-
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...rchItemId=84679

acarli3

#17 Post by acarli3 »

I have a couple of dealers locally that sale Redline oils. Call around to the delaerships in your area..someone is bound to sell it. Again, I only recommend the lightweight shockproof for the tranny. The engine oils are not worth the money relative to the price and quality of mobile 1 synthetic IMO.

azcannon

#18 Post by azcannon »

you cn get redline t most cr hotrod shops, its high horsepower motor favorite

banzairx7

#19 Post by banzairx7 »

QUOTE (azcannon @ Jun 14 2006, 01:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you cn get redline t most cr hotrod shops, its high horsepower motor favorite

Oreillys sells redline if you have one near you.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/HomePage.do

jesshamner

#20 Post by jesshamner »

Are they still selling the Mobile 1 synthetic for the topend? I can't find it anymore.