adjusting cable clutch

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
guthrie08

adjusting cable clutch

#1 Post by guthrie08 »

i get my Tag T2s from cannibommer which look great and start swapping handlebars. i get everything on and my clutch is not even engaging. i tried to adjust the adjuster and the inline adjuster and it would not tighten, would not even engage the clutch. i noticed my actuating arm is not at the 12:00 clock positon and my question is, is this what is causing my clutch to not engage and how do i adjust the actuating arm.

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

gosh, I'm still on my way back from the post office, and you have it already!!! biggrin.gif

that's great, but sounds like the cable slipped out of the motor slot during the changeover?

guthrie08

#3 Post by guthrie08 »

lol that was quick shipping. my cable is in the motor slot and when it is my actuating arm is at about 3:00 clock. not even close to 12:00. is this what needs adjusted and how do i adjust it?

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

... owners manual covers it, and actuating arm procedure in service manual but can't be needed with just a handlebar change -- now sounds like you are already stuck fully engaged since lever pulled clockwise.... does it spring back normally when no cable on there? check by hand with no cable for normal arc. maybe go back to original adjuster and cable positions?

guthrie08

#5 Post by guthrie08 »

there is nothing catching, its like the whole lever is just freeplay, it never engages the clutch. i tried adjusting everything and the cable is still loose, nothing catches. i noticed my actuating arm is almost horizontal and when i put it at the 12:00 position it tightens up but it wont stay there. im lost rolleyes.gif and need some help lol.

Canniboomer

#6 Post by Canniboomer »

sounds like actuator normal -- just check the perch, lever, and adjuster again -- something basic, or even a broken cable end.

guthrie08

#7 Post by guthrie08 »

i take the cable out of the lever and its fine, actuator is normal and everything is smooth, i put it in my lever and it goes right back to freeplay the whole time, wont engage anything. is my cable broke or am i not adjusting something right?. thanks

Derno24

#8 Post by Derno24 »

Ok cable clutches have an adjuster inside the clutch cover. Someimtes they do just go out of adjustment. Happened to me. One thing is I didn't adjust mine by having the arm at a certain position, but rather by feel.

There are directions on how to do this in the engine and owners manual. If you don't have them I can post them!

guthrie08

#9 Post by guthrie08 »

thanks derno, ill try it out, what tool did you use to hold the clutch release collar, i dont have any circlip pliers, and what torque do i use on the clutch cover bolts.

Derno24

#10 Post by Derno24 »

Unfortunately I did use circlip pliers to hold the lock. As for torque I used a 1/4 inch drive and just went decently snug. Just by feel!