Ball joints...get them fixed now!

acarli3

#1 Post by acarli3 »

I have my Moto front end with Brad now for new ball joints. I had a ball joint POP out on me while riding. If you have any play in your ball joints or tie-rod ends..GET THEM FIXED NOW! I ignored the signs and almost paid dearly. I was lucky and escaped injury since I was running at low speeds. If this was to happen at high speeds or in the air....You better have great insurance (Life and/or Medical).

On a side note...The quad ran extremely strong. The new boomer set up allowed me to richen the offset about .20 and still fixed the rich condition I was having with my 478 stroker using the moto/speed stroker map I created. I was very pleased with how the engine ran.....I was able to spank Jen's YFZ up Sand Mountain with ease. She was surprised since we ran so closely last year (she's 30lbs lighter than I am though). The boomer intake and additional tinkering with the map made a HUGE difference. I was running the ACE racing style modded airbox but the Boomer intake breathes even better. Canniboomer was great to allow me to call him with questions on install...(Thanks Boomer!) since I bought is last fall but didn'g get to installing it until just a couple of months ago and forgot much of what he told me last year.

Sandstorm

#2 Post by Sandstorm »

I just replaced my ball joints a month ago. My Moto ball joints were very very sloppy.. Get that quad over to KBR's on the dyno.. He's only 5 minutes from your house. GET ER DONE!!

acarli3

#3 Post by acarli3 »

I use the seat of my pants dyno. All I know is that it's noticably more powerful than it has ever been. Last year was lots of trial and error in trying to get the worlds first 478 to perform the way it should in theory. By seasons end we had lots of people with strokers working together to make a map that worked and the quad was performing fairly well. I came up with a map fro strokers, ported, bored intake and throttle body that was close to what was needed and Steve, John and others worked on it to perfect using a dyno. It seemed to run very well for those at lower altitudes but I still struggled with a rich condition on the bottom end. I ran the ACE racing style air box last year with motorcycle air horn (all bored out as well) but still need more air or less fuel on the bottom end due to the altitude difference. What U needed was air because when I adjusted the map for fuel, the idle was not as smooth so I was looking to get more air. I added the Boomer intake on Steve's recommendation and WOW what a difference that made. It then made the bottom end to lean and had to richen it up to compensate. It really woke the quad up. If you don't have one, get one. I didn't bother with the flow but may try to richen it up 50 to 100 to see if I can find hidden power there now. I was just having way to much fun on the monster to care to try. We stayed at LS for a couple of days and in the afternoon on the second day is when the ball joint popped out. We left LS around 2pm and headed straight for BW. Just after 4pm we were pulling the front end off the quad and handed it to Cord to swap out the ball joints. Shouldn't take long.

Hopefully we'll meet up with you all at LS some time this year. Is there a trip to St Anthony's planned this year? I vaguely remember some talk about a west coast ride (Oregon??) with a side trip to the Idaho dunes.

Sandstorm

#4 Post by Sandstorm »

Seat of the pants testing = disaster. That's like trying a Thomez map, KW springs, early Falicons or many other things beleiveing in hype that these forums create w/ no back up or R&D of any kind..!! LOL Your AFR is gonna be waaaay off. You spent how much on your motor and wouldn't want the peice of mind for an extra 75 bones.. It's your motor!!!

acarli3

#5 Post by acarli3 »

John and Steve have dyno'd the map over and over so I have a good idea of the AFR given that we all have like setups. I've suffered from a rich condition on the bottom and extreme top end likely due to altitude differnence. Nothing to worry about. One of these days I'll get it on a dyno. Just not a priority. When you get the name, address and ph# of where this dyno is located at...send it my way. I'd be much more worried with those running strokers and stock maps thinking richening the flow on them is enough. We learned very early on that doing this could spell disaster.

Sandstorm

#6 Post by Sandstorm »

KBR is located on 3500s on the south side and around 4780 west in a tiny little strip mall. I think JB's is on the corner next to them... Seems to be some other auto type business's in the same strip mall.. My AFR was very lean down low and we got a straight line across w/ a Moto/Speed map.. My flowarate is 2100..

acarli3

#7 Post by acarli3 »

I'll try to stop by sometime. Won't happen this next week. I am headed to BW tomorrow to pick up my front end and will try to put it back together on Sunday.

My flow is 2200 but the map we created is richer in the map itself by 5%. The idea was to try and keep the stock settings as we did modifications. However, those that increase cc to 505 at sea level, we found the injector just don't flow enough. Found a fix for that now so the next motor may be bigger???

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

Before I ride the new moto the ball joints will be replaced. This is a very important check which I have been neglecting. Just because they are not very old doesnt mean they are still good. Good post.

And your right about stock maps. Just doing the flowrate is nowhere near enough. You may get a good afr line but there might not be the power because of the timing curves . Ive never seen a stock map get good afr on the big motors . They are just way to rich on the bottom beyond what the offset can adjust. If yours motor can run ok with a stock map there might be some more mods in order. Cam timing may be a big factor there.
Of course I'm no expert with the mc1000. I have become a huge fan of the mc500 system for reliabilty,simplicty,cost and performance.