Potential for Hybrid Cannondale/250R?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
thedeatons

#1 Post by thedeatons »

Hey guys.... Without going into the "why", I would like to know whether anyone thinks it can be done?

The question is whether a water cooled 250R engine can be fit properly into a Cannondale chassis.

I was looking at a Dale tonight, and it looks like the swingarm is symmetrical, so flipping the axle and moving the chain slide over would work pretty well. After that move the chain roller to the left.

I am attaching a picture of a random 250R engine I found on the net. Looks as if the swingarm pivot bolt on our chassis could be used for an attachment point to the rear of the engine. The lower front engine mount could attach to the original Cannondale cradle, and the upper rear cylinder mount can perhaps connect to the brace covering the Dale's spark plug/coil....

Any thoughts? Think it would fit okay? Anyone ever tried it?

thedeatons

#2 Post by thedeatons »

I found my answer.... Looks like my idea wasn't the first idea... Login and check the pictures... awesome.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php...threadid=343890

SlOoT

#3 Post by SlOoT »

Putting a 2-stroke engine in a Dale frame is very "easy" compared to a 4-stroke conversion.

It would be even easier if you would take a Rotax 250, chain on the right side.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

If they can shoehorn a banshee engine in a trx90 then anything is possible. Ive seen that 250r quad at a group ride. My recomendations if going with a 2 stroke is use a banshee engine. At least it will have comparable power to a stock dale and wont be as big a waste of time like the 250 was.

speedracer

#5 Post by speedracer »

Yes a Banshee engine would be the way to go.I had a Banshee for several years,loved the engine,hated the ergos.I have been wanting to do this swap for awhile now,I even have a local shop that builds ground-up drag quads able to do the mock-up.I have all parts to get it done,just saving for a RZR right now....soon though!

thedeatons

#6 Post by thedeatons »

No Banshees..... Just my opinion.

The engine he used was a CR250 engine. After hours of research yesterday I learned that the CR puts out loads more power than then 250R engine, and has no counterbalancer, which is why he spent so much time dampening vibration. The 2001 CR250 engine puts out 44hp peak, and my Glamis is at the 43-45hp mark, so they are pretty even. Granted the CR engine has a narrower powerband, so I would have to keep it within a certain rpm range. That is a totally stock dirtrider.com measured CR250 though, that is 7 years old. Word is the pros CR250s are easily throwing down 60hp on the dyno. I'm sure mid 50s would be easily reachable with a port job and a pipe. Plus we're not even talking about overboring yet.

I want the 250 engine for simplicity, lightweight, reliability, and because I just want it. No Banshees. smile.gif

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

If I were doing a 2-stroke swap it would be a LTR500 engine.Tons of power,Single cyl(easier pipe than banshee),awesome trans,Powervalve stock and they hook up.Requires some mods to make reliable such as reinforcing the cylinder around base studs.It was very popular to put these in a 250r chassis back in day.I rode two of these hybrids and they were AWESOME!

2mike18

#8 Post by 2mike18 »

bikes put out more power on dyno because of less rotating mass (no heavy axle, one tire that is much lighter than 2 on a quad) so how much horse will be lost? and with 2strokes the design of the pipe determines the power band so once you find a pipe ya like hopefully ya wouldnt have to hack it up to fit. if your going to do all that work why not use a cr500 motor since you dont like banshee motors?? I'm not trying rain on your parade just throwing out some food for thought. also you would need to rework the swing arm like moving the mounts for the brake. I am looking at stuffing a 2stroke into a dale rolling chassis also so all this info helps my cause too. good luck in your choice

desertbound

#9 Post by desertbound »

A cr500 motor would be killer! Talk about power.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

LTR 500 is better motor.