Quad rate vs Triple rate

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
haydug

Quad rate vs Triple rate

#1 Post by haydug »

I am having some issues with my quad rate shocks. Has anyone had enough experience with the differences to help out a little. The biggest issue is with the quad "diving" in the turns. Jeff @quadshop gave me some crossovers that helped some, but seemed to basically take that particular spring out of the equation.
I now have some Elka "Elite" (thanks Jeff) and have rode on them several times, and so far pretty happy, but still experienceing the dreaded dive. They are also quad rate. They do work better than the TCS quad rate they replaced, but just got those back switched back to triple rate. Now, need to try them.
My motocross bike has TCS, which is now quad rate, and having stiffer springs and another set of triple rate shipped to me now.
The bike handles jumps nice, and goes through whoops awesome, but when I try to drive through a corner hard, it just seems to buckle under, and pull the inside rear tire up.
BUT, maybe I'm doing something wrong on the setup.
1/4" toe
bike sitting 1/2" higher in the front.
I have tried cranking down the spring preload to combat this issue, but then it will skate around on the little stuff. I have tried lowering the back to keep some of the weight off the front, but then loose traction with "packing" and bottoming.

Sandstorm

#2 Post by Sandstorm »

My TCS's work much better then my Elkas did. I run 1/4 toe in. C-Dale said Zero toe in. I got a twitchy feel in the sand so I went 1/2 turn on tie rods and made it better. I run 19" Holeshots on front for mx, but didn't race last year due to back and engine problems.. Maybe I'm not to good at picking small things, like you mention, up. I'm thinking triple rates could be a better thing then quad rate. There is such a thing as overkill and quad rates might be it.. My works triple rates I had on my 295r were the best shocks I've ever owned..

josborn

#3 Post by josborn »

It may sound crazy, but look at the rear shock too. Too much preload and/or rebound in a rear shock can cause a quad to nose dive going into a turn. Changes in the front effect the rear and vise versa.